Rocket Launcher with Sunshade

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm looking at buying a used Freedom 307. Most of the models have the sunshade option, which I really dont want Has anyone added an after market rocket launcher to a boat with the electric sunshade? Seems like it should be doable.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd call a local t-top or marine pipe shop. I'm sure they can come up with a solution. The only potential issue will be access with the sunscreen in place but I'm sure it can be done.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
My buddy's Coastal 281 has sureshade and top rocket launchers. I'm sure you could find someone to fabricate something like this.

1711194844268.png

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Freedom, thanks for the pic! That is exactly what I would want to do. There is a pipe shop that participates in all the boat shows near me, I'll reach out to them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Is there a gap between the shade and the hardtop? Looks like stock pipes. Could give a ring to WMW a call. They make them for GW.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Also, the hard top rod holders are usually an option and they bolt onto the hardtop. If there is a gap, it could be very easy install with a WMW solution.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
It all depends on how the shade is mounted. On my 335 there is no gap. So the gap would have to be created by moving the sure shade out some. Doable I am sure.
the second picture shows a sure shade on the topside which might make it a little different but same applies, either remove the shade altogether or create a gap By moving the "base" location out some.
Also consider how you can reach the rockets when in launchers if the shade still is in place.
H

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Eventually, Sure Shade will get smart, and install a U-shaped zipper underneath the rocket launcher position, so that you can unzip the flap, and I have about a foot wide opening to reach up and take down, or replace a rod.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Well,well, that is an idea that is easily accommodated as an after market modification by an upholstery shop or similar. The zipper though has to be rugged strong and not clogging up by oxidation, so plastic most likely.
A good idea, easy to do and all you need is to mount rocker launchers high enough to clear the shade .

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
GWperformancewelding.jpeg
gwperformancewelding.com

Not my boat

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Freedom, thanks for the pic! That is exactly what I would want to do. There is a pipe shop that participates in all the boat shows near me, I'll reach out to them.
I want to do the same, but only for flags. I'm a bit of a flag-whore. My only complaint about my Freedom is that the rocket launchers are on the sides. I prefer to fly flags from the top. I'd love to find a bolt-on solution.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well,well, that is an idea that is easily accommodated as an after market modification by an upholstery shop or similar. The zipper though has to be rugged strong and not clogging up by oxidation, so plastic most likely.
A good idea, easy to do and all you need is to mount rocker launchers high enough to clear the shade .

Yes, but after market modification by an upholstery shop would require disassembly, possibly void the warranty, and add hundreds of dollars to a fairly simple factory modification.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hmm.. Find it interesting that GW would box themselves in with either/or design. Usually they think things through to maximize option opportunities.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
GW Performance Welding 609 569-9911
They are a sponsor here.....they are fast and know everything about GW's. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The pic I posted above is GW Performance Welding although that's not my boat - just an application of rocket launcher with retractable sunshade. GW made a rocket launcher for my Gulfstream and yes, they were great!

Reactions: Uncle Joe

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, GWPerformancewelding is the shop I was referring to in Post #4. Nice to see some of their work in photos.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The GW performance welding product seems like the best solution. That being said unless your over 6ft tall being able to reach the rods in those holders in any seas is going to be difficult. To reach the center holders on my 305 I have to stand on the livewell or the drink cooler.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Drbatts, I understand your point. Luckily I'm 6'4". This is one of those times where height has it's avantages.