Rod Holders

dduflo

Reaction score
I want to add 4 Rod holders to the rear edge of the hardtop on my '05 Islander 270. What have you used? Where did you get them? Pics?
Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I assume you want rocket launcher style holders?

bc282

Reaction score
Taco Alum. clamp-on's look and work very nice.
quick install too.
i wouldn't use them for heavy rod/reel combos as any clamp-on can move.
if you need to store heavy tackle, then only option is weld on's.

i've posted in this forum not too long ago a couple pics of the alum taco rod holders that i've mounted on the horizontal pipework. They match the GW alum pipes very well and the rod holder style matches the existing factory rocket launcher holders on the hard top. Just pick the appropriate size model for the pipe diameter.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not exactly sure which area you are considering adding rod holders.

I purchased a set of factory hardtop rod holders for my Marlin last year. It came with six welded rod holders and gets mounted to the hardtop itself. It was a simple install, took about two hours because I took my time and wanted to avoid costly mistakes. Most Gradys I see with hardtops have this type. Took about ten days to get them to the dealer if I remember correctly. The rod holders match the four hardtop leg mounted rod holders perfectly. Cost wasn't too bad either, around $650 plus shipping.

If you meant you want to add rod holderrs to the hardtop legs I have used the Tacos on my last boat before I sold it. They were on the boat for about four years and did not move once. They held up to the enviroment quite well, I would not hesitate to use them again. I prefer the welded on type, but in reality they are not practical to have installed on a boat with wires run through the hardtop tubes, curtains (and tracks for same) installed, many flamable items nearby, etc. I may add a pair of clamp on myself in the not too distant future, not sure if I will go with Lee, Taco or another brand.

Not to highjack your thread, but does anybody know what brand the hardtop rod holders are on a 2006 Marlin (probably the same on all Gradys of this era)? I would like to match what is already there with clamp ons instead of welded.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The sticker on my factory hardtop rocket launchers is:

WMW Marine
Winterville, NC 28590
919-756-2130.

There are 5 rod holders attached to an aluminum assembly that bolts to the hardtop in 3 places.

dduflo

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I will contact WMW Marine and look closely at the Taco product. I'll post a pic when they are installed.