Roll enclosure up or take off for the summer

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I did a search but only found advise and discussion about taking the enclosure off for the winter, but could not find anything about leaving it rolled up for the summer.

I have been using my (still new to me) '98 Sailfish this year with the eisenglass/canvas enclosure up and just opening and rolling up the windows for the nice days. Last weekend was beautiful and the temps were cool, so the enclosure was not a problem. Just rolled up what we needed to to keep cool. Well, that weather looks like it is gone now as today the temps were near at or above 90 with the usual humidity. I went down to the boat this evening and rolled up all the canvas and secured it with the mounted tabs. I intended to leave it up on the off chance that we might overnight somewhere and then head back in rain or cooler weather,and it looks like the temps will not stay this high for long as next week looks to be back in the cool range.

So what is the consensus about leaving the canvas/eisenglass enclosure rolled up on the boat as opposed to taking it off and storing it in the basement? Since it's stored under the hard top I suspect the sun exposure will be minimal, but I could be wrong about that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

seasick

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Much safer to remove and store it flat or hung it.

Or rolled with some soft material ( like an old sheet) to keep plastic from touching itself.

To an extent, whether or not it helps to take the enclosure off depends on the shape it is in. Storing it will extend its life and keep the plastic clear for longer. Even rolled on the boat, it is being exposed to the elements and to the sun's rays. If the plastic is in not so great condition, it probably doesn't make much of a difference storing it since the damage is already done.

If yo decide to store, rinse it well with fresh water and make sure it is dry before storing.( Don't rub dry. dab with a soft clean towel or just let it dry) I also apply some Aerospace 303 protectorant to help the UV coating last.

zimm

Reaction score
Mine were kept rolled in a king sized pillow case for 12 years and they look like new. I'm keeping the side curtains and foward windshield part in the boat (starboard cabin storage bin) for use in case I get stuck in a bad storm. Came in handy last weekend when it was 68 degrees with the wife and kids to put the forward part up. The rear curtains I'm leaving at home. The less time that clear plastic is in the sun, the better.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep mine rolled up during the summer. It's nice to have if you get stuck in a thunderstorm.

They are rolled down and washed when I clean the boat and then rolled back up. Much less hassle that taking them entirely out.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My eisenglass is in great shape, and most of the canvas parts look just as good. When I picked up the boat all the enclosure parts were wrapped up in soft styrofoam sheets and bubble wrap. None of it is in brand new condition, so I'm sure it was used sometimes, but for fifteen year old parts it looks incredible. It looked so good that I had no second thoughts about not having any off it replaced.

I suspect that the previous owner used it sparingly and then wrapped it up when he was finished using it. I do like the idea of leaving at least some of it up for storms and other weather to make things easier on my family should we get caught in those conditions. I also like the idea of making it last, so I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to take it off and store it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have had my 232 and accompanying canvas for 6 years. Most of the time I keep it stored in the cabin in a big long camping-type bag with blankets in between to keep the eisenglass from rubbing itself, as Seasick said.
I put it all up and take it all down as the weather dictates.
I don't keep it zipped on not only for wear-and-tear reasons, but I use a full mooring cover on my lift to keep the sun off the boat, and the canvas has to come down to put the cover up.
Is it a pain to put up and take down all the time? Yes... If I wasn't using the mooring cover, I might leave it rolled up to eliminate the hassle factor.

Lucky13

Reaction score
I plan on keeping mine on and rolling it up each time I use the boat if it is hot. If it is warm it will roll easy so its not a big deal will take all of 10 minutes to roll the back three sections up. Most likely I will keep the front and sides on at all times. this will also allow you to wash and clean each section every time. I use one of the soft squeegee sticks on my entire boat when done washing and it really makes a difference on the enclosure.

seasick

Reaction score
I second the wash statement. You will get much longer life if you rinse the curtains after each trip. As I also mentioned, applying a UV protectorant to CLEAN 'glass' will keep them clear for a long time.
I am sure you know this but never, never use RainX on the plastic.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I keep mine on the boat all summer while its in the water. The only time I take it down is for larger storms in the fall and for winter storage. In the warmer weather I will roll up the sections as needed, while the boat is in use. I never leave them rolled up for extended periods. I will always do a freshwater wash when back at the dock. I routinely use the imar line of products for cleaning and protection as they were recommended by the place that re-did the enclosure a few years back.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I find it funny that our friends in the northern regions see the curtains as a cold weather application primarily and my southern brothers ( sisters I suppose too) view the curtians primarily as foul weather gear especially in the summer thunderstorm season.

I can see a difference between hard top and soft top folks. on my 192 we rarely used our curtains as we had a soft top and only deployed them when we got caught in thunderstorms in central Florida. Now I have a hard top and the curtains fit nicely in those channels and it is easy to roll them up and use them as needed for rain. While I live in a climate now as cold as New Jersey yet still in the south we rarely use our boat in the winter.

We use Plexus on the clear vinyl part of the curtains and 303 on the sunbrella as well. My curtains have take some abuse because we roll them and leave them rolled while trailering long distances, especially my rear drop curtains for what ever reason are the most scratched. We just applied the plexus and lubed the zippers and snaps a few days ago.

seasick

Reaction score
Just for the record, note that the 303 I mentioned for the 'glass' and the 303 recommended for the canvas are two different products: 303 Aerospace Protectorant for the glass and 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard (I think that is the name) for the canvas. Both have worked well for me although I wish they weren't so expensive:) Getting 303 Protectorant on canvas is not a problem. I use it on vinyl and fabric upholstery. On the other hand, you probably should avoid getting 303 Fabric Guard on the clear plastic.

That also was a good comment on Northern and Southern weather and the desire for an enclosure to protect from your typical warm weather southern storms. I can see why one might want to keep the enclosures rolled up and ready for inclement weather.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Well, for now anyway, I think I will leave the front and side curtains on the boat and rolled up in case we encounter any storms while out. Since the boat is in the middle Chesapeake Bay salt should not be an issue. I will be taking the three piece rear curtain off and storing it for the summer. As a side note I also have a helm cover that covers everything from the top of the windshield to the front of the cockpit behind the helm and passenger seats that will be used while the boat is in the slip.

I guess I will see how they hold up in a few months.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had a sailfish (actually for sale now at Taylor Marine). We fished only offshore and we left from and side curtains on and would roll back ones up when fishing but close them at end of day after we cleaned the boat. Having them was helpful on those rough or stormy days and we sometimes would have storm or rain roll up on us. If you was them with soft cloth and protect them you should be fine. Mines are 12 years old and look ok.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"I find it funny that our friends in the northern regions see the curtains as a cold weather application primarily and my southern brothers ( sisters I suppose too) view the curtians primarily as foul weather gear especially in the summer thunderstorm season."

Yep..different strokes. I leave my curtains on until the weather/water warms up enough. ( usually about 1st/2nd week in June where I am) Then I take them off completely until about mid-October. I feel that if I dont have to expose them to the elements (even rolled up) I won't. I will admit that there are a few times that I wish I had them..mainly when getting some spray off the quarter when coming home in the afternoon. But, hey...to me ,getting some salt spray is part of boating and our season isnt all that long compared to down South, so I can deal with it . However, T-storms and driving rain is another story..so there is a lot of truth in your observation.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
bay rat - I am with you brother. When we troll for dolphin at 7 knots having the curtains up ( or off) is nice having the breeze in your face and so forth. I know the boat is designed to be in the water and all, but if it is choppy having them down with spray off the quarter is nice to me. i dont mind getting wet, but I would prefer to keep saltwater away from the switch panel and electronics and so forth. I am kind weird that way - lol. Living in the mountains of NC my boating season is as short as yours, I dont miss living in Florida, but I do miss Florida's year round boating and fishing. I just dont have that blood where I can be on the water when it is 30 degrees out like yall do up there with curtains or not - :lol: