Running Power from helm switches to port-side gunwale?

rmcderm313

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience running power wires from the helm switches of a Grady White (Adventure 208 specifically) to the port side gunwale? I'd like to install a LED light strip but I don't think there is an existing way to run a wire up through the boat liner.

I know where the rigging tube is so I can get the line from the switches over to the port side, but I can't figure out how to get it up through the liner and into/under the gunwale. Worst case I can just drill through the liner I guess.

Just curious if anyone else has done this.
Thanks,
Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you have existing cockpit lights? You could just tap into that circuit?

Can you go into the cabin and then back to the port-side gunwale?

Knowing you're doing LED, you don't need large gauge wires. It might be easiest to just run the wires from the helm, back to the transom and around to the port side. Wire of this gauge is cheap.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a challenge because of the cabin and walkaround. If you can't get through the cross-run chase in the floor, then go down and across the stern then back up the other side.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Look under the gunnel, my ancient 22 Tournament had a rigging tube port cockpit to transom bilge, too..

Parthery, you sell your T-22?

seasick

Reaction score
You can run wires from the helm,through the rigging tube to the stern, across the bilge/transom from starboard to port and then feed up to the port gunnel. That is how the factory feed everything in the bilge. I would then route up under the gunnel and not try to run under the deck. Fairly straightforward. Just remember to figure in the total wire run length when sizing the wire gauge.

Note that if you don't have either the fresh water option of the wash-down option, the hull was prewired for both and you could one of those runs. Colors are listed in the owners manual I believe

rmcderm313

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Gives me a lot to think about. I like the idea of going down to the stern and up through that way. If I remember correctly the rod holder openings go right through the liner, so either through one of those or drilling another hole would work. Especially since I don't have the fresh water option, I might already have the orange/blue wire sitting there. I'll check when I get home.

Thanks again...
Rob

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rob,

I also responded to your post on THT....have you looked at the cross-chase that is installed in the floor just forward of the livewell/coolers? That should be the shortest run to get to the port side.

Page 6-11 of the owners manual shows the location of the tube.

rmcderm313

Reaction score
Parthery said:
Rob,

I also responded to your post on THT....have you looked at the cross-chase that is installed in the floor just forward of the livewell/coolers? That should be the shortest run to get to the port side.

Page 6-11 of the owners manual shows the location of the tube.

Thanks man... I saw it. I'm good getting the wire through that rigging tube, its getting it from the end of that tube to the inside of the liner under the gunwale. The only path I have found so far (thanks to responses here and THT) is to go back to the stern and through that end of the gunwale liner. I could of course just drill through the liner, as far up as possible, and seal it up well.

The only reason I'm a slight bit reluctant to go back to the stern is that the rigging tube is quite full. I had a bitch of a time getting my transducer through there, but that cable end connector is pretty big for a rigging tube. Someone also pointed out that the wire for the fresh water pump should already be there (I don't have a fresh water pump). I'm going to look into just using that.

Thanks,
Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just out of curiosity, because I'm not familiar with the inner liner on your model...

-Does it extend all the up to the gunwale?
-Is there an actual space between it and the outer hull?

The inner liners I'm familiar with, on other brands as well, usually don't extend up that high.

rmcderm313

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Just out of curiosity, because I'm not familiar with the inner liner on your model...

-Does it extend all the up to the gunwale?
-Is there an actual space between it and the outer hull?

The inner liners I'm familiar with, on other brands as well, usually don't extend up that high.

It doesn't go all the way up (see photo) but it is really tight against the outer hull with no gaps that I can find. I think it might be sealed of not adhesive sealed against the hull. I always try to do things without cutting/drilling if possible, that's why I'm kind of pushing this search for a path. Then I see people installing speakers in the liner and realize I should just get over it and drill a hole...:D

IMG_0760_zpsveob1kcc.jpg

Thanks...

steveditt

Reaction score
I ran a circuit across to the port side using the tube in the floor and yes I drilled a small hole and fished the wire up ,mine is used for an external pump for the bait well,its simple hidden behind the seat I think that's much easier .