Sailfish Handling

PA228G

Reaction score
Saw a post on the THT asking for input on Gardy ride quality from someone looking to buy a new ride - not as much bashing as usual. What interested me was a post stating "Handling around the dock is also very good, one motor in F the other in R and the boat will spin on its axis." From a 255 Sailfish owner - not sure if that person posts here or not.

One day I want to move up (the Sailfish is the goal). I've run a few bigger SF boats with twin diesels and love the the maneuvering ability offered by taking the hands of the wheel and working the throttles, etc. Not trying to be a smart a&% since I've never been in one, but is the above correct - can/do you really handle a Sailfish like a bigger (true) twin screw boat? Seems hard to believe given the spacing of the OBs.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my 232 handled that way (and other twin o/b's and i/o's i've been on). an o/b won't spin directly on axis since the engines are offset to the transom (not offset to the beam like an i/b), but you can spin it in it's own length by moving forward/backward while spinning. ron

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Yes she will spin very close to on axes. It is not quite as responsive as a bigger boat where the shafts are further appart. Ya gota take her out and get use to her just like anything else. I can easily come into the dock, drop one in "r" and slide her in. Same with back into a dock. Slow and steady, she responds well enough. Your biggest issue will be wind and current. Get them running together, and it gets tough. I was in FL a few months ago, and for the first time I just could not get her to the dock due to the rip and wind. I gave up and had to toss a line to the dock.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can easily spin my 282 in her own length, using F & R. Do it all the time in the canal behind my doc. This summer, I changed to 4 blade props, to bring the WOT rpm up t where is should be, and found that close-quatrers handling; e.g. ease of spinning the boat, is even better. Just FYI, the engine that is in reverse, will need a higher rpm than the one in forward.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Inboards are better in reverse than outboards for the following reasons 1) they are set further apart thus giving better handling when the engines are in the f and r positions for maneuverability and 2) the exhaust from the motor comes out thru the prop. In forward the exhaust gas is pushed away from the prop and the prop can get a good bite against the water. In reverse the exhaust is pulled into the water around the prop and the prop looses its bite, therefore in reverse you need more RPMs which creates more exhaust. Outboards take getting used to on any boat. I have had a 32 Luhrs with twin inboards , a 252 GW sailfish and now have a 272 sailfish

amr72

Reaction score
That was me who posted about the 255. I agree with the above posters about the handling. I tested this in the middle of my home port of Forked River. Turn the wheel hard over to starboard, put your port motor in forward and your starboard motor in reverse (slightly higer rpms) and the boat spins like a top. Obviously wind and current make this harder, but the boat is very mannerly in tight quarters...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am still learning to back my 232 Gulfstream(Twin 200's) into slips.
I try to put it in with the throttles only..When I start spinning the wheel while working the throttles, I get overwhelmed..One action undoes the other and I get sideways.
So..Any other secrets other than repetition? I can generally do it fine as long as there is no opposing wind or current.(Which happens about 2 times a season..).Otherwise, I usually have to forgo the fancy throttle work and treat it like a single outboard and just come in via the helm.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
The 232 is a little more tricky. Only because she can be blown easier by less wind than the 282. The 232 was my first grady. Ya cant get around trial and retrial ... again and again. When backing into a slip with docks & posts on both sides I spin the boat just forward of the first post, then back bringing the post down fairly close to the stardoard side at a 22 to 45 degree angle. When the post is about amidship, I crank the wheel to port and split the throttels, port eng in "R" and starboard geg in "F" and she walks right to the dock. I let the reverse eng control the speed and I use the fwd eng to move the bow. One trick is that once you start the process try to resist the temptation to start using the wheel. If you get yourself set up properly, you won't need it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks KenLahr..
I'll attempt that next week when I make another run in the Gulfstream. It certainly is an ongoing education...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
She spins pretty good but don't by shy with the reverse motor and the pivot point is a little behind the motors not like an inboard. If you start using the wheel and the F/R motors you're going to get REALLY screwed up.

Practice

Practice

Practice

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To the OP, inboard twins throttle steering charteristics doesn't even come close on outboards.

So you are not dissapointed, try it on a sea trail near a dock before buying.

I/Os and outboards, singles or twins, can direct thrust, an advantage over inboards.

PA228G

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I doubt that anything said here ( + or - ) will make my future Sailfish decision one way or the other - there are so many other considerations. But I'm pleased to hear that working the throttles "works" to some degree. I'm by no stretch an experienced boat handler - but I have to say the single OB (on a bracket) set-up on my 228 requires a keen attention to detail in any sort of wind / current.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The 282 will spin fairly decent. The earlier 2000 models had the engines to close together in my opinion. I have the 300 now, and it handles much easier than the 282 for me anyway. I think the further apart the engines are the better.