Sailfish Power Questions

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am looking at moving up to a larger boat, one that is very high on my list is an older Sailfish 25. I realize that all boats are holes in the water... but want to minimize my potential exposure. I know I am at the low end of the market, with only a 20-25k budget for the initial purchase. There are a number of these boats available in New England, some with OB and others with I/O power.

I will be trailering the boat, and launching on both sides of the cape, so an I/O could work for me. It is also appealing to me due to the full transom. Is there a significant performance difference in this hull with I/O vs OB? Fuel consumption, ride quality, speed? For anyone who has one of these with an I/O--how difficult is it to access maintenance points on the engines? How bad is the fuel consumption with the early 90's standard Yamaha power? Ideally, I'd like to have the range to get down to the dumping grounds--~50-60 miles south of Falmouth MA.

My thinking is that most of the boats in this range are still powered with the original engines, and repowering with twin ~200's is not an option currently, but new engines for an I/O are much more reasonable. Of course, a bad outdrive could render this moot.

Thanks

kirk

amr72

Reaction score
I don't know about the I/O version of this boat, but at $25k you are not too far away from being able to afford a repowered outboard version of the sailfish. Hell, I would be willing to let mine go for 30k and it has the Sea-V2 hull, new electronics, and 2003 Optimaxes. Look around and you might be surprised at how far 25k gets you in this market...

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you're interested, I've got a 1990 Sailfish, 92 motors with replaced tillers and shift rods. Interior of boat was gutted and replaced, very good canvas, zodiac and much more. Looking for 25,900 OBO Boat is in water, maintained, and being used. I just want to go to a 30-33.

Fuel comsumption is pretty basic. About 1.1 mpg @ 4000 rpm (25-30 knots)

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the offers :)

So, no one has experience with these boats with the twin I/O's?

Sailfish25--do you have pics of your boat?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very few Sailfish models around with twin I/Os.

Realize the motor box takes up some room in the cockpit.

JeffN

Reaction score
kirk a said:
Thanks for the offers :)

So, no one has experience with these boats with the twin I/O's?

Sailfish25--do you have pics of your boat?

I ran my '83 with twin Merc. 470 I/Os for many years in about the same area you are in. I repowered with a single I/O a couple of years ago. The 470s in my experience were inexpensive to opperate, I don't know about the sixes. I am very happy with the single 496 I now have. These boats came with twin fours (470s), twin V sixes, or 350 and 454 singles also there was a diesel version when Grady offered I/Os. The 470s have been out of production many years but there are still sixes around. If you are considering the six I would go with Mercs or perhaps someone has repowered with Volvos. I would avoid the old OMCs for sure. Make sure that the new version of the sixes will fit under your motorbox etc. for if and when you repower. As to how much of a hassle the motor box is that is up to you, I have found that getting around the motor box is no big deal. Particularly when compared with working around outboards on a bracket or euro transom. I never had flow meters on the 470s but felt that they were very economical to run particularly when compared to outboards of the time. The new outboards being more economical but that has been a recent development. From what I read here about the economy of the new outboards I would say that my single 496 is perhaps a tad better in fuel economy. I feel the fuel usage of the new motor is similar to the old 470s maybe a little better. I would think that top end of an OB boat would be higher. I cruise at 24 to 28 knots and top out at 44 MPH, fine for my use. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

For trailering remember that the Sailfish (the old ones anyway) have a 9'6" beam. Might not be a problem for trailering locally on the cape though.

Just my experience and opinion. Have fun.

gw204

Reaction score
Kirk,

My '93 will be going back on the market soon with a pair of '00 Yamaha 200 OX66s complete with all new rigging. Full transom and an '06 HI-TECH aluminum bunk trailer. I'll be asking in the neighborhood of $32K for everything. If you're interested, I can send you some pics.

BobP is right about the I/O Sailfish. There were few made in comparison to the outboard versions, so information will be harder to come by.

ahill

Reaction score
I had a Sea Ray 240 with a single 260 hp merc. years ago.
Compared to outboards of the time it was quite efficient.
In today's world an i/o will probably be more efficient at trolling speed and close to equal on plane.

busterblue

Reaction score
I love my '89 252 g. twin '06 zuke 175's (100 hours) on a bracket (full transom) I got it from Jay G who posts on craigslist and sells off the front yard of Hyannis honda. I paid 26k. Good luck.