Sailfish purchase question

jar777

Reaction score
I am in the market for a used Sailfish. My price range would target a Sailfish model between '98 to '01. The '01s were powered by twin yamaha 200HP HPDI's versus the older model using the yamaha 225HP OX66's. I would be interested to get feedback on owners reliability experiance with HPDI's versus the OX66's.

striped bass

Reaction score
I have found the OX66 to be a real work horse and a rugged engine. You might have less problems and maintenance with an OX66. They do consume gas which I find is off set by less maintenance and upkeep. Lots of pep too.

Desperado

Reaction score
You can find some 2000 models with the HPDIs (mine has them). Both are good motors. I have been told the HPDIs get about 20% better fuel economy, but I have never seen a comparison test. I would let the price of the boat dictate what engine I end up with.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One of those years the cabin bridge was remoled, new cabin side windows added (Marlin style) and front windows were eliminated, othe rthings.

That's when a price jump occurs.

Other than that, you are dealing with 8-10 yr old motors, have very little $$ value either way. The 200 HPDI motors never had one issue from day one out the factory, and they are more oil and fuel efficient that the OX66s, if you spend time trolling the fuel savings will be much greater than 20% since direct injection doesn't allow raw fuel to pass the exhaust port, like it does with crankcase feed fuel, FI or carb. At higher speeds teh fuel has less time to sneak out the port.

Whatever you get, thorougly service the fuel and oil systems, I'd dump and clean the oil tanks and lines, start wit fresh oil. Make sure any remote oil deck fills get new O rings, and drain on-board oil tank and change oil filter at remote oil tank. You will find water and sluge in oil tank, sludge is formed by water contamnation of oil.

Of the last few years with the economy and fuel prices, record number of boats for sale and staying on market for longer periods, some for years now, and have not been used during that time.

You get no waranty, new HPDI power head is $7K, lower unit rebuild $2K, get the message?

alfa1023

Reaction score
jar777,

Don't know what your budget is, but I have my 2000 272 Sailfish for sale (see classified section).

I had 225 OX66's on it which were the perfect motor in my opinion until I blew a powerhead on one of them. Put new F250's on it - about the same performance but with 50% better fuel economy and of course a nice quiet, smokefree ride. When buying the 4 strokes, I talked to my local Yamaha dealer and he steered me away from HPDI's due to their maintenance experience with them.

Desperado

Reaction score
To clarify on HPDIs, as long as you stay 200hp or below they are great as far as reliabilty and fuel economy (a little better than a 4 stroke on plane, a little less trolling). When you crack 200hp you go from a 2.6L block to the 3.1L. The 3.1L motors have a checkered track record.

Desperado

Reaction score
One more thing! HPDIs do not like ethanol! They inject the fuel at around 700psi and are finicky about fuel quality. I keep my filters changed and treat the tanks if I am not going to use it for a while. Good luck!