Sailfish Winterizing

jar777

Reaction score
I purchased a '04 sailfish this summer and it is sadly time to put it away for winter. Any advise on how to winterize the raw water washdown, livewell and sanitary system. Also, if there are any other cautions that I need to know. Thanks

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just boat the exact boat, Same year too.

Do you have the Grady White owners manual? It tells you everything about winterizing every single system on the boat. If not I could fax you what you need. The manual is a real nice binder with individual pages that are removal so it wouldn't be a problem.

Bob

jar777

Reaction score
282 Winterization

It would be great if you could fax it to me. I bought the boat used and it did not come with the owner's manual. The grady white owner's manual was not much help. My fax is 860 434 4412. Thanks again.

sluggoe

Reaction score
from previous posts on this site, i think the consensus was that u probably do not need to winterize raw water washdown and baitwell but just run the system dry and leave seacocks half open;

my grady dealer also advised that this approach was fine;

i would winterize head and freshwater system though;

--sluggoe.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
JMHO..But it costs about $8.00 and takes less than 10 minutes to winterize both the livewell and the salt water washdown. Salt water can and does freeze. Especially if you have the boat exposed to wind. If you pop a fitting behind the livewell you'll wish you spent the time....Chances are it won't happen but for the time and $ it takes to do it i'd be sure it gets done. In the grand scheme of total boat ownership it really is a minor job/expense. of course, that is JMHO but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :wink:

sluggoe

Reaction score
it looks as if i will have to buy some sort of doohickey that presses against the thru hull to suck up the pink stuff thru the baitwell and washdown while the boat is on blocks.....what kind of device is it and what does it cost?

it seems like the above is easier than to remove the baitwell / washdown hoses in the bilge and put them in a bucket of pink??

wadda u think?

-slugg.

dlevitt

Reaction score
When I winterized my washdown/livewell, I just disconnected the hose leading up to the pump and stuck it into a gallon of pink antifreeze. I ran the pump until pink came out of the live well valves and the washdown spigot. I then reattached the hose.

It only cost me about $4 and took about 5 minutes.

sluggoe

Reaction score
that is fine for the raw washdown but the pump for the baitwell sits atop the thru-hull and i sure don't want to pull that off.....so best way is like the previous post said: get a plunger attachement.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sluggoe said:
that is fine for the raw washdown but the pump for the baitwell sits atop the thru-hull and i sure don't want to pull that off.....so best way is like the previous post said: get a plunger attachement.

Not sure if you have same setup as mine but just below the washdown pump I have a 1/2" plug that comes off the side. It's above the seacock. I removed the plug and installed a 1/2" NTP to 3/8" barb fitting and put on a 2' length of poly hose which I stuck in a gallon of pink antifreeze. I used about a half gallon then I used an old flexible sink supply hose which has the same fitting as the pickup side of the washdown pump. I then stuck that in the remainder of the pink stuff and ran the washdown as well.

Oh Yeah a note on this. Before I winterized these systems I ran them both dry but when running the antifeeze through them I found a good amount of salt water come from each. So there was water in each system even after running them dry.

sluggoe

Reaction score
yep, you are absolutely right!!

i did the same thing and after i opened up the seacocks to drain and then put in the pink, a bunch of saltwater came out of the baitwell / raw water wash b4 i saw the pink come out.

proves there was more salt water in there after all even after draining by opening seacocks.

slugg.