Salt water

Doug25freedom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Have a2011 225freedom fresh water since new , thinking of taking to southern florida next year for the Mo. of February. is 30 days in salt gonna be a problem if I flush the engine each day, it will be docked for the whole month?

JustEnough

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Depending on where you end up docking in “southern florida” will have a dramatic effect on how much growth you get.

There is a reason why you’ll see most boats your size up on the lifts around the canals along the waterways in Fort Lauderdale north & south. A private dock might seem like a good option, but most areas don’t experience the movement of water that marinas right on the intracoastal do.

Beautiful locations but ‘slow’ water will start to see growth in a week. Once you’re around the Keys - you’ll have slime at the end of the month but nothing that will really impact the bottom of your boat.

“Run the boat” sounds like it is not an issue for you and I would say just keep an eye on it - other than that enjoy and just power wash it when you get it home.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Funny Grady and saltwater. But seriously if you are going to leave it in the saltwater without bottom paint, pull it at least once a week and clean the bottom. Depending on, you may get a start of barnacle growth and discoloration but it is doable and may require a product like Starbrite Hull Cleaner. I've left my Grady in the water many times for a week and I am able to get it cleaned back up.

Doug25freedom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. I had the bottom paint done by professionals last fall.There is no lift where it would be docked. It would be in cape coral in the canals.not sure if I’m taking it but I am considering it. Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Was the bottom paint antifouling paint? If so depending on what was used (manufacturer and type name) you might be fine.

Doug25freedom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I’ll check to see what exactly they used & get back to you. Thanks