Saltwater Cleanup Survey.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
alfa;
Did your 90 Yamaha live entirely in salt water? If so, 15-16 years isn't a bad lifespan, flushing or whatever.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a fan of all preventative maintenance - I use to almost be in panic mode after getting the boat on the trailer - find a water hose.

Did take some getting use to not flushing. About a year of no issues then after 3 or 4 I was more at ease. Now, no worries at all...my boat stayed in Florida for 4 years with zero flushing. Now still runs as a great F200 should. 359 hours use.

Bigger issue which is non issue anymore - ethanol. Won't use it unless no other options. Has been years.

Service - annual service done with direction - if it needs it do it...mechanic is trustworthy - so far only routine. My motor is a 2003.

Moved the boat back to Lake Lanier and will most likely average 200 -300 hours a year. Hopefully more...

alfa1023

Reaction score
Magicalbill,

Yes, my 90hp has been in saltwater use from day 1. I agree, it has provided more than its fair share of life. But It does get treated like royalty and actually still looks almost new even at this advanced age. I have to believe my anal focus on maintenance has helped lead to its long life. Using the SaltAway when flushing may end up being a waste of $$$. But like using RingFree, it is a small cost compared to the cost of repairs / new engine(s) so I am willing to spend the $$ to use the stuff and hope that it actually does make some sort of difference.

Jim

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bigfoot;
Lanier sells non-ethanol? That's good. A few years ago Kentucky sold only ethanol fuel. Don't know if that's still the case.

alfa;
Those Yamaha 2-stroke 90's are the greatest. I believe Action Jackson has a Precision Blend 130 (circa 1980's) on his Grady. Our family won't use anything else but Yamaha on our boats.
Are they perfect? Nah, but overall I feel they are the best outboard going and have been for 30+ years.

Oops..Went on a tangent....

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Yes ethanol free all over lake now.

FWIW, had a 2 different 90 Yamaha 2 bangers and another 115. All great motors - none liked ethanol period. Ethanoled 2x on 115.