Satellite TV

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this unit?

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP63527580.htm

I was looking at adding it to my Marlin 280 I thought it might be great for those long trips and overnighters. Also does anyone know a good size TV that can go off of standard power? If not I was planning on getting a generator anyways.

richie rich

Reaction score
no experience, but at 2500 plus a TV, you better really like to watch television.....plus at 12v for both the dish and the TV, your batteries will be running down really quick unless you're at shore power or have a gen set.......many marinas have cable at the dock these days...do you really need it? Also, isn't Boaters World out of business?

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
KVH M1

Just installed the KVH M1 unit at the end of last season and I love it. Got it at Anchorexpress.com, currently priced at 2326.99, with 9.99 shipping! Yeah, alot of marinas have CATV, but with many channels going digital and requiring a set top decoder box from that cable company, you may or may not get much. The unit was an extravagance, I'll admit.... but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Also, if you've ever had to keep kids occupied onboard...theres nothing like the The Disney Channel lol. The unit works on DirectTV. If you dont already subscribe to DirectTV that might be an expense that could be a deal breaker for you. Direct TV also provides music channels, in case you dont have satellite radio.

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
Re: KVH M1

OffDuty said:
Just installed the KVH M1 unit at the end of last season and I love it. Got it at Anchorexpress.com, currently priced at 2326.99, with 9.99 shipping! Yeah, alot of marinas have CATV, but with many channels going digital and requiring a set top decoder box from that cable company, you may or may not get much. The unit was an extravagance, I'll admit.... but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Also, if you've ever had to keep kids occupied onboard...theres nothing like the The Disney Channel lol. The unit works on DirectTV. If you dont already subscribe to DirectTV that might be an expense that could be a deal breaker for you. Direct TV also provides music channels, in case you dont have satellite radio.

What do you run it off of? Do you use it at the dock, and do you have pictures of your cabin and tv you have it hooked up to. Have you had any problems with the unit cause if I am spending that much on something it better work great, or have great service. Yeah I am already a subscriber and love it so i figured it would be a great investment for the boat!

bc282

Reaction score
how about buying and installing a LCD/DVD combo (runs of an inverter) ?
much cheaper to buy/rent movies?

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: KVH M1

I run it off of the house battery. I use it at the dock and underway. I didnt think to take any pictures of my setup. I bought the boat and did a complete refit of the electronics including the entertainment gear. The KVH M1, a new Fusion stereo/DVD unit, a Jensen 15inch marinized LCD tv.
The TV has jacks that allow you to monitor what is on the tv. So, it allows me to have an output for audio and video that I send to the stereo to get tv audio throughout the boat, and send video to the chartplotter so if I wasnt sitting in the cabin I can have tv at the helm. The tv also has a vga input allowing me to send chartplotter video to the cabin. The remote for the M1 works on rf instead of if so you can use it from the helm. I have a wireless remote for the chartplotter so I can control the chartplotter from the cabin and see it on the tv. The stereo sends DVD video to the tv and puts the dvd audio through the stereo.

My electronics guru said to avoid tvs with built in DVDs, so I did. Some people said to use a regular tv instead of a "marinized" one, I went with the more expensive "marinized" one. I'll see if that was a good choice or not.

Yes, with the advent of "Redbox" renting DVDs is real easy and cheap...but I can do that also. Being a news junkie I love being able to keep up on the latest while enjoying everything boating has to offer.

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
M1

If you're still in the market....look at the Defender site. They have the KVH M1 on sale for 2229.99 and there is a special promotion. They will also send you a 19 inch flat screen tv.

richie rich

Reaction score
And Defenders Spring sale is coming up in about a month...another 10%off if you feel you can wait or the stock won't run out....call them for availability...they are great to buy from.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
TV on standard power??

Get a 19 inch toshiba HDTV and cheap inverter, Sanus wall mount bracket. TV is 0.6 A at 120VAC, figure 7 - 8 amps DC, no big deal for ship's batt, get minimum 100W inverter,IMHO.

Just got one TV myself, price way down, about 175 bucks now.

Can pay a few more bucks for DVD player, stays the same size.