Scraped the Hull

Desperado

Reaction score
I managed to get caught in a crosswind and gauged my hull when it hit one of the trailer I-beams. It is about 3/16" deep and 6" long. Any ideas on how to repair it? I would like to do it myself if possible. Thanks for the help!

richie rich

Reaction score
Desperado, if you didn't go through or into the laminate, its just a gel coat repair.....they sell kits in the store but you'll have to mix and match to get the right color....or go to the Grady dealer and he should be able to get you the right stuff.....depending on how old it was, it may be slightly off color...but if its on the bottom and you have bottom paint, you'll never see it.

you will have to clean up the are really well...especially if theres bottom paint and that crap gets everywhere.......clean an area several inches all around with fiberglass prep solvent...it removes all the oily/waxy contaminates in the area that allows the gelcoat to stick...some guys use acetone .....read the instructions on the gel coat...it should tell you.

Sand the area around the gouge and with a screw driver and sandpaper get in the crack as well.....wipe down again....mix the gel coat according to the instructions and smooth it on......you can cure it 2 ways by either putting a peice of plastic over it until its cured or I believe a spray PVA can be applied.....I use the plastic......once cured....sand down in multiple steps with fine and very fine paper......and you're done...either polish it out if its visible or bottom paint if its under the hull

markb8608

Reaction score
leave the hull to the experts

Hi
My advice-if anything with the hull below water line-I let an expert repair it.
mark

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is is as deep as stated iot is clearly through the gelcoat, gel coat is maybe the thickness of construction paper, beyond that you are into glass or core. If you do not see foam, you have solid glass which first needs glass work, it can be done yourself but I highly advise having someone with this experience do it with you, not just you alone. You will need to first gring out the damaged area to get it smooth, no gaps ir rough spots, if you leave them you will have air pockets where the resin and glass will not adhere well. Once flat you need to first coat the damaged hull area with good resin on a brush, make sure it coats every part of the surface, this will keep the hull watertight and is important, then roll the glass with resin to soak it through evenly, lay it on the damaged area and then roll it in using a fiberglass rollers tool, get ALL air pockets out, having a smooth surface to work with makes this easier. Then, once done put a layer of wax paper over the hull, and then use a foam block above a wood base and hammer it in to form to the hole and keep the glass from falling off. Typically you will put more hardener in the resin when working with a boat sitting ona trailer and not upside down, the glass mat will want to fall off from gravity. Once it drys pull wax paper off and grind area flat, any air bubbles present grind out, then clean out with acetone and redo steps again until you build the area outward to fill the hole. Once slightly protruding from the hull grind flat, or a paper size below. Once this is done you can roll on a color matched gel coat repair kit from Grady dealer, they will match your hull color very closely and be the way to go. As you see it is not an easy job and to do right is time consuming, having someone with experience in this is needed to do it right. Leaving it to a pro is best but not a necessity. Best of luck to you and hope it works out well for you.

Desperado

Reaction score
It is not into the core (thankfully). I have a couple other glass issues with the boat, so I am going to try and get a quote on repair. Last time I sent a boat to a shop there was a 3 month wait. Does anyone know of a way I can temporarily "seal" it until the fall? I hate to miss out on the rest of the season. Thanks!

Desperado

Reaction score
It is past the gelcoat. I just would like to seal it until about October then put it in the shop if possible, otherwise I am porbably done for the season. :(

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is your boat bottom painted?
Do you have access on the inside where the damage is?

If yes to both:
Put a couple of layers of fiberglass matte on the inside, the bigger the area the better, two or three layers is fine, then marine tex the scratch from the outside and bottom paint the area.

richie rich

Reaction score
Desperado, post a picture.....if its just the white "candy coating" part and the laminate has not been touched...it can be repaired with a mix of good epoxy and a 50/50 blend of Cab-o-sil and milled fiber mixed to a peanut butter consistency....its not structural and the epoxy mix will be a stronger overcoat than the gelcoat itself .....just make sure its cleaned and prepped well, wet out well, cured , sanded smooth and paint over it. If its in the structure you have to grind it out as others have mentioned and lay in new glass cloth...by you or a Pro.....but you have to be sure of the damage. No one can give you sound advice other than have a pro look at when we can't see the damage.

Desperado

Reaction score
Trying to post a pic

Scratch.JPG
[/img]

richie rich

Reaction score
Desperado, it looks like a cosmetic problem based on your photo.....this should be a straight forward repair. If you are unsure if its cosmetic or structural at least have a pro look at it even if you can fix it yourself.

Since its the bottom and it has bottom paint, do an epoxy repair. It will be stronger and more water resistant than gel coat. First get rid of all the paint in the area for about 4 inches around...this will be a mess as that paint just smears everywhere, After the paint if gone, wipe down with alcohol. Then sand by hand or finish sander with 80 grit. Knock down any sharp edges.....if a flat sander can't get it, use a dremel tool with a little sanding drum...works well. Mix some epoxy to the exact ratio stated..no more, no less with epoxy. If its hot, chill the epoxy before using as it will give you longer working time...on a hot day I've had epoxy kick in a matter of just a few minutes...use a wider width cup vs a tall skinny cup..it will help.....once mixed thoroughly, use a small acid brush and wet coat the area and then use the remaining epoxy and mix in the cabosil and milled fiber...if you want it to look white, a few drops of pigment can be added now...just a one or 2 drops will do to match.....mix until a toothpaste or peanut butter consistency so it bonds and can hold without running...not too dry or stiff, but just enough not to sag when vertical or upside down. Add filler to the liquid in steps and mix well before adding more.

Apply on top of the wet coat with a plastic applicator and work it in and cover everything needed and smooth as best you can but leave some material for sanding.....when dry, wash off any amine blush with a sponge and water, dry off and sand with 80 grit until its fair with the rest of the hull...change paper often if clogging.......this mix is more structural than a typical "fairing" mix and will be a bit harder to sand, but its stronger........if you have a low spot, just repat the application again...now just paint with bottom paint and go fishing...you'll be OK after that......but as I said before, be sure there's no more damage than meets the eye. Follow the epoxy directions....good luck

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think that that part of the boat is all solid glass, i don't think you are going to have a problem, besides, it does look like cosmetic from the the angle of the picture.