Scuppers

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As someone pointed out to me this past weekend, the scuppers on my Overnighter seem to allow a decent amount of water into the cockpit when one or more people stand on the back of the boat when not moving. The scuppers were replaced a few years ago, but thinking back, this issue has always been present.

My question is, does anyone know of a way, or have created something that would make it so water can only exit the scupper and not enter...? Thanks in advance for the input...

Bren

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bren,
You should have flaps in the scuppers on the outside of the fitting. This doesn't prevent the total invasion of water. If your flaps are torn or aged replacements are readily available.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the same boat, same scuppers, the water outside should force the flap to close,especially under water. Thats the only thing keeping the water out is the flap. Mostly I have 4-5 People on the boat and the scuppers are usually under water when we are all fishing the stern.I get very little water in but I keep a large Sham wow on the boat and soak up any that does get in. I have sokked up about a 1/2gallon of water with one big rag. But dont have to use it often. I get more water in from the chops than the scuppers. Sometimes the flaps stays open a crack. When I wash the boats deck I have to prop them open with a stick so the cockpit drains out. Otherwise they drain real sloooow. I have seen some with ball scuppers and they tell me they work a whole lot better. I plan on replacing mine within the month.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a scupper made which looks like a clear plastic cup with a ping pong ball inside it. The ball plugs the scupper opening when water pressure is present from the outside of the boat, but it floats off when water pressure is present from inside the boat. It works really well at preventing water intrusion.

The problem is: The interior of the plastic cup COULD get clogged with marine growth if the boat is unattended for long periods in the water.

The other problem is: because the cup protrudes, you could theoretically break one off.

I have had them on a previous boat, and you may want to consider them.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
White Horses (Mike) said:
Additional Info: Its called a "FLOW-MAX Ball Scupper" from TH Marine....

Thanks for the reply... Since my older Overnighter's scuppers sit about half in the water all the time (in Fresh Water), I am not sure I would trust these, as they may clog up with growth, as you said. I will definitely look into it tho!

Bren

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you stand back there and are getting wet feet, cork the deck drains while on the boat, don't forget to remove them when leaving boat, otherwise good rainfall will sink the boat. Various stopper plugs are made, rubber, cork, etc.

You will also have to remove them alos when using washdown hose, etc.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same problem with my 185 and I have taken the "high tech." approach which is to put Grady supplied rubber plugs in the drain hole inside the boat. This solves the problem and it is usually just required on the Starboard side. Yes you do have to remember to take the plugs out when in port. Grady says that it is more of a problem in fresh water than salt water for my boat which does make some sense although it really should not happen at all in my opinion.
Bukster

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just replaced the scuppers with a nice new OEM set from Crockers Marine [plug], and they work GREAT.... I can have 3 people stand aft, and NO WATER... I like the idea of the ping pong ball scuppers, but am way too worried about them becoming clogged with marine growth... I also don't care for the way they look, sticking off the rear of the transom.

Bren