Seatalk NG and NMEA2000k network

shauncooper

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Raymarine autopilot that runs on Seatalk NG network and I need to connect this to my existing Navnet NMEA2000k network which has my GPS/Heading sensor and Lowrance equipment.

I have ordered the adapter cable which should arrive soon, my question is where to place the terminators, on both networks, or each network terminated?

Any help appreciated!

shauncooper

Reaction score
Nobody have any ideas?

Also looks like I may have made some confusion in my question, what it meant was does only one network have terminators on the ends or do both networks have the terminators?

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Without ever having established such a configuration, I would say that there is only going to be one network in your configuration, the existing one. The backbone terminators remain in place where presently situated.The RM autopilot simply joins your existing network on a spur cable attached to you existing backbone. This may require a RM adapter cable as well as a SPX Spur cable. The RM instructions should be helpful.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Thanks. The RM manuals are not too helpful when it comes to connecting to NMEA network. There will definitely need to be a Seatalk backbone as well as the Autopilot consists of the processor, EV sensor and input/display unit all of which run on Seatalk network through the spurs that you mentioned.

I guess without a definite answer, trial and error with have to be the order of the day.

shauncooper

Reaction score
I'm very surprised nobody has dealt with this issue before.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
You might want to try Thehulltruth.com There are guys in there electronics section that specialize i this.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Thanks Sea Shift, I did get some advice from some guys there.

Got everything installed and connected up today and everything worked first time, so pretty stoked about that.