Side mount or hardtop mount outriggers?

Polapea

Reaction score
If you were building a new Marlin would you go side mounted outriggers or t-top mounted? Why?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Top mounted are more easily lowered when needed, don't provide an obstruction in the walk around, and are easily collapsed and removed if necessary. Their normal position is more swept back, so overhead clearance is better.

Side mounts are stronger and can handle stronger, heavier poles - with or without spreaders. Vertical clearance may be an issue under some bridges, unless laid down.

IMHO, I would go with the top mount unless you had a specific need that was beyond their capability.

We have no problem pulling lures, meat or small spreader bars on double-rigged, 15-ft, heavy-duty Taco poles.

Brian

Polapea

Reaction score
Brian, thanks for the response. Do you have to collapse them down when you are running? Do they get tangled when double rigged and folded?

Kurt

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm old school, I prefer the Lee Senior side mount outriggers on our marlin. They are double rigged and I have pulled two medium sized spreader bars off each outrigger on occasion. I also like the added spread I get with these 16' single spreader pole with 8' base (24' total). I've considered triple rigging them, but figured it would only cause headaches.

I will admit there are some disadvantages:
These outriggers are relatively heavy and could be tricky to deploy in heavy seas.
I think they cost about double when compared the hardtop mounted outriggers.
They are harder to store off season.

As far as going through the walk-around when they are deployed, I totally agree its a real pain in the neck. However, we almost never go to the bow when trolling so it's not normally an issue for us. No bridges for us, so I really can't comment.

fishbust

Reaction score
I have the wishbone side riggers on my last 2 boats. I like them. Easy to operate, within reach for me.

I have never used top riggers, so no comment on them at all.

gradyslip1010_zps65e0d259.jpg

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah I got a pair of the 15ft tacos on my rig (24 Explorer).I was swinging both ways on which ones to get. I like the ruggedness of the wishbone mounted ones, and there deployment, looked hard at getting a pair. I opted for the taco collapsible since I trailer from time to time and have some low bridge clearances to get under in the channel and lake. I mounted mine with the backing plates, and the wedge plates and have never looked back. I think brain has commented before as to running with them extended. I have never had a problem, granted if it was really sloppy out I might retract them but have never had an issues in the past. I just don't want to deal with a tangled double rigged mess. I keep them tight when running with a bungee cord down to the hardtop frame preventing them from bouncing around and it works well. I'm in the process of rethinking how to collapse them and not having them tangle up, id be interested in hearing what others do. Internet searches don't come up with much, and the line caddies that come with the poles are pretty much useless.

Now, knowing what I know now...I would have gone with something lighter like the carbon fiber poles, I hear that they never need to be retracted, are much stronger, much lighter and look awesome.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the 24 foot Lee Pro series on my Marlin. I typically drag six lines, sometimes a 7th "way back" on my center rigger. I love them. You can see them in the picture. I also made a small mod so I can lay them down going under the bridge going up my canal. I took out the bolts on the base and replaced them with 4 inch SS pins (found them at West Marine). Then added the same bracket to the hard top. I pull the pin rotate the outrigger forward and pin it to the top of the hard top. I ordered the additional brackets from my Grady dealer and mounted them to the forward top of the hard top. Simple solution.

Polapea

Reaction score
Guys thanks for all the great responses. Thinking about our situation (no bridges) and a tendency to pull lots of spreaders I think we are going with the side mounts. I fish solo a bunch so folding t-top mounted might be an added hassle I don't want. Thanks again.

FYI- we are replacing a Sailfish lost in Sandy. We looked used for quite a while but after running into issues with every boat we put an offer on we decided to go new.

Ohana 2 (in production)
300 Marlin
Yammie F300's
Bowthruster
Generator
AC / Heat
U/W Lights
etc.

Looking forward to getting back to the canyons. Kayak fishing is fun but it doesn't scratch the tuna itch.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree on the side mounts. Mine are the 19' Lees which I have double rigged with the Hatteras setup. I haven't used the top mount but I much prefer the look of the side mount. I am also not sure how well you can double rig a top mount.

The Hatteras setup uses some sailboat gear at the bottom with a small nylon cord attached to the pulley. This goes through a grommet in the gunnel and then into a jam cleat. When the riggers are laid out, you can adjust the halyard tension with the jam cleat. Very popular around NC and works great.

BTW: I am jealous of your new 300. Maybe in the near future for me. Are you getting the Helm Master? Also glad to know SOMEONE is buying a Marlin these days. The DCs have taken over sales.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
My vote would be for cabin mounted as seen on my '98 272 Sailfish. Unfortunately, Grady White never mounted them at the correct angle as suggested by Lee's . The correct angle for outriggers can be see on the Luhrs behind my boat. The lower install angle cannot be achieved with adequate bolt access using Lee Juniors on older Grady's . They still function very well .

Attachments

• grady1.JPG
    grady1.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 4,213

Polapea

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Are you getting the Helm Master? Also glad to know SOMEONE is buying a Marlin these days. The DCs have taken over sales.

No Helm Master, didn't think it was worth the money when we'll have a bow thruster. Cool system but at almost 20k it didn't make sense for us.

The DC's are interesting but not real hardcore fishing boats which is what we do. Considered the 30' express but the center helm seemed to be difficult to get past and the cockpit is smaller than the Marlin.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hear ya. The 305 is very good looking but I much prefer the helm access on the 300 and as you stated, the cockit is much larger.
The HelmMaster becomes a tad more affordable if you subtract out the thruster which would not be needed. I have seen a demo and even handled one on a 375. It is amazing how easily you can move a boat in ANY direction including sideways.

It will be a real game changer for docking in tight spaces. :goodjob