Smell in the Head

danothemano

Reaction score
I have an electric head (Jabsco 29200) and a strange problem. When the boat sits for a few days and I use the head and engage the electric flushing mechanism, a really foul odor comes from the head. However, the next time and all subsequent times I use the head that day, no odor comes from the head. I thought maybe the head vent line was clogged but I checked and it's as clean as a whistle. Any ideas out there on why I 'm getting the smell ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's saltwater sitting for a while, I get the same in my SW water line to the livewell.

mronzo

Reaction score
The head uses raw (sea water ) to flush. After a day's use shut the intake seacock and flush, then rinse the bowl out with fresh water and flush.
Or you could have a leak in a hard to work on spot.

StriperMan

Reaction score
I get the same smell of rotten eggs from well water at my marina. I have to use chemicals from West Marine to prevent the odor. Once treated you have to make sure to keep the water tank full and continue to add the chemical ( tablets - not sure of the brand ). Several people have told me to use chlorine bleach but I don't like to mess with storing bleach on the boat.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a similar problem I just noticed this weekend on an overnight fishing trip. Boat is a 06 Marlin with fresh water toilet (and FW holdng tank). First let me mention the water (hot or cold) has virtually no smell or foul taste coming from any of the four faucets. There is no smell or ring left in the toilet bowl from the fresh water. I think if I had to, I could drink the freshwater and I would be fine (although I still prefer bottled water on a boat).

Before leaving the dock, I filled the fresh water tank. A few hours later on our way to the canyons we emptied the holding tank. About an hour later I remembered to add the powdered toilet stuff and flushed the toilet to as per the instructions to deoderize the holding tank. When I came out of the bathroom the crew was complaining about the awful stink (there was no odor in the cabin or bathroom area). A few hours later someone used the bathroom again, and I got a whiff of the odor they were talking about - it really was bad. I assumed the vent on the holding tank is allowing some 'sewer' gases to escape, despite the fact that the holding tank treatment was just added. I would have expected it to smell like pine trees since the fluid in the holding tank was highly concentrated with the chemical, not rotten eggs? Did not notice the smell again for the rest of the trip or back at the dock. Any ideas?

Dan, maybe you have the same boat as me and we have a similar problem? I did not see what boat you have, but if you have a saltwater flushing toilet as suggested, I guess we do not have the same problem.

StriperMan

Reaction score
Tuna Man,
I also have an 06 Marlin and as I stated my freshwater supply comes from a well and has no chemicals. If I don't treat the water and it sits for a week, the smell will run you out of the cabin when you use the sink or flush the head. If you are not getting any odor from your sink faucets, I would have to agree that the odor has to be from the holding tank. You might want to think about leaving your freshwater tank full when you leave your boat to reduce mold growth in the empty portion of your tank. I learned this from a friend who had a major mold problem from leaving his tank near empty for a couple of weeks during the summer.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
StriperMan, thank you for the tip. There is probaly enough chlorine (bleach) in our city water supply that no bacteria or mold could grow in the freshwater tank (kidding). Since we owned the boat (18 months) we have not had any issues with the fresh water.

A few months ago the duckbill valves failed on the holding tank discharge pump. As a result the holding tank was at or near full for a week or two until I got the new duckbill valves installed. I suspect the top of the tank interior and perhaps the vent line have not been 'rinsed' since then. Maybe this weekend I will intentionally fill the holding tank to the rim with a strong solution of holding tank treatment and water. Let is sit for a while and have it pumped when I go and get fuel. Hopefully this will eliminate the rotten egg smell for good when the toilet is flushed.