Soft Bunks

timberxx

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Magic Tilt trailer with bunks. The trailer sat exposed to the elements for 6 years unused. I am now using it full time and noticed the bunks are soft. I drilled though them easily.

I inspected under some carpet, and they don't look rotten.

Should I be concerned about this?

richie rich

Reaction score
If it's soft, it should be rotten or at least getting there.....if it's not rotten, why is it soft? If you even question its condition, since its only wood, I'd replace it and not worry about it heading down the road.

timberxx

Reaction score
From a visual inspection my bunks look like cypress wood. This kind of wood is naturally resistant to rotting compared to other woods. According to my research says that cypress is "balsa like". I want to know how soft cypress gets. Any ideas? Also alot of people are no longer using pressure treated wood on aluminum trailers, there is some copper reaction.

I tried to call magic tilt to confirm the bunks are cypress, but they have no customer service.

richie rich

Reaction score
I've never heard of using cypress for that...interesting...If its not punking out, ie easily puntured and falls apart with a screw driver, it may be just a softer wood like you said.....maybe post a pic and have folks look at it??