Spreader lights quit...

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The lites are fused at the block in the overhead box...did you check it with test lite ? I had same problem. Had a dead short in the power lead to the lites that run thru the hard top tubing. Impossible to access, so ran a new hot lead outside the hardtop tubing. Came out great
Yah my switch is bad I pushed it and it pushed all the way in and. Ow I can’t get it to click and turn the spreader lights on. The courtesy light it functioning normal. I need to replace the black push in switch for the spreader lights

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had the same thing happen to me. It was the switch on the dome light. West Marine didn't stock it so I picked one up at my GW Dealer. Definitely the switch since BOTH lights went out. On my 265, it was truly a pain in the neck to remove the dome light to replace that little switch. Good luck.
can you fill me in on how to remove this dome light? I’ve taken both bolts out and it won’t budge. I don’t see how it’s even still on?!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
can you fill me in on how to remove this dome light? I’ve taken both bolts out and it won’t budge. I don’t see how it’s even still on?!

On mine I removed the two nuts holding the reflector in place, removed the reflector and there were two screws holding the housing in place.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
On mine I removed the two nuts holding the reflector in place, removed the reflector and there were two screws holding the housing in place.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I took the cover off. Removed the 2 small nuts and the thing is still solid as a rock i have no idea what’s holding it on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't remember for sure, it's been awhile but you may have to rotate that whit plastic bulb holder to get it off. It may be a snap out item also. Mine was slightly different but there are additional screws under the bulb holder. When you drop that out you will have access to all the wiring also. That is a good light so take care. I have a later version and I can see that the old one was made better.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I can't remember for sure, it's been awhile but you may have to rotate that whit plastic bulb holder to get it off. It may be a snap out item also. Mine was slightly different but there are additional screws under the bulb holder. When you drop that out you will have access to all the wiring also. That is a good light so take care. I have a later version and I can see that the old one was made better.
I had to pry it off it was frozen on there hard!! Finally got it off and realized I had ordered the wrong switch.. I need to get a 2 wire switch

HMBJack

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't waste time replacing the switch on that light. As many of us know, it's generally a lousy light anyway.

Instead, buy a nice LED light. The one I have can switch from white to red and, being an LED, it is shock proof, consumes low energy and will outlast me. There are many good choices out there.

As to the spreader lights, I wired mine to an unused switch on the panel next to my helm. So, my dome light and spreader lights now operate on different switches. Problem solved (and simplified).

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We had the very same problem. It was a bad switch. We separated the spreader lights from the dome light. Put a standard toggle switch inside the top box for the spreader lights and bought a new standard LED dome light with both bright light and red light for at night. All good now.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I personally wouldn't waste time replacing the switch on that light. As many of us know, it's generally a lousy light anyway.

Instead, buy a nice LED light. The one I have can switch from white to red and, being an LED, it is shock proof, consumes low energy and will outlast me. There are many good choices out there.

As to the spreader lights, I wired mine to an unused switch on the panel next to my helm. So, my dome light and spreader lights now operate on different switches. Problem solved (and simplified).
I am defiantly going to upgrade the spreader lights. I like the Lunitec Caprera red/white. I too would also like to wire the spreader to a different switch. Was that fairly easy to do?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I think the original switch was not adequate for running Halogen Spreaders. Too much currrent ruined the switches. Thats why evryone has complained about them . If you swap out your Halogens with LED Speaders (and you should!) then that little switch will probably last.

I use the original switch for the LED deck lights and added a 3 position pull switch to run fwd facing LEDs under the pulpit and on the hardtop.
Switch is mounted on the electronics box

1587509896468.png

Last edited:

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I think the original switch was not adequate for running Halogen Spreaders. Too much currrent ruined the switches. Thats why evryone has complained about them . If you swap out your Halogens with LED Speaders (and you should!) then that little switch will probably last.

I use the original switch for the LED deck lights and added a 3 position pull switch to run fwd facing LEDs under the pulpit and on the hardtop.
Switch is mounted on the electronics box

View attachment 12469
Which LED spreaders do you have ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Which LED spreaders do you have ?
I bought cheap ones on Ebay and they all still work.
Paint bubbled a bit and got "dusty" underneath... Wire brushed and spray painted ...
They come with stainress sclews and a non stainress bracket...not top end but what do you want for $7 a piece

I added these in 2019. Argueably not as bright as the first ones... 4 Pack WHITE Spreader LED Deck/Marine Lights for Boat (Flood Light) 12V 24V 18W $24.99
1587524513705.png

Bought these in 2018. They are my cockpit spreaders lights...
Spreader Led Marine Lights (Set of 2) for Deck Flood Light 12V Boat Fishing Lamp $13.58

1587524581149.png