Spring Cleaning.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Well I know it's been mentioned here before but in the process of cleaning the Grady today my wife gave me a Magic Eraser to try. Boy I don't know what these are made of or how the work but these are great. Work well on the the white. Now to get the buffer warmed up.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
Here is a good tip with the magic eraser... if you use it with "simple green" I have never seen any product clean upholstery better. helm seat cushions, bolsters, etc.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep, works pretty well on just about anything on the boat. Just be careful as it is abrasive (albeit probably less than other things out there). I'd hit cushions with 303 after to give it some protection.

mboyatt

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I heard that Magic Eraser contains bleach in it. I don't like using it on my walls at home because I can always tell the area of wall where it has been used. It removes the stain but also leaves wipe marks on the wall. Never used it on the Grady though. May give it a shot.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Be very, very careful with that "Magic" eraser. It's not 'magic' -- as mentioned above, it's basically sandpaper. The top, protective layer of vinyl is very, very thin and it won't take much to sand through it. A few years ago, I tried a Magic Eraser on some scrap vinyl that I had. I was able to notice a slightly different "dull" area where I had used the Eraser. I will never use one on vinyl. I've cleaned up some VERY nasty vinyl in my day and I've always found less intrusive ways to do it.

seasick

Reaction score
Yup, the Magic Eraser is abrasive. In addition to taking the protective layer from vinyl, it is pretty easy to rub right through gelcoat. For me it is the last resort for stains on gelcoat.
For the record, Grady mentions in owners manuals that bleach is to be avoided since it can yellow gelcoat, Lots of 'cleaners' contain bleach.
Grady also recommends acetone for cleaning vinyl. It works very well on bolsters and the like and although I had my doubts about using it, it doesn't seem to harm the material.
Acetone also works wonders on plastic rub rails. Wash first and dry and then use the acetone on a clean rag to remove oxidation and crud.
The nice look won't last very long unless a protectorant is used and there are many options, some pretty costly, but one cheap treatment that holds up for several months and is easy to apply is Mop & Glo floor wax:)

Every season, before winter layup, I remove all the vinyl cushions I can remove ( I leave the bolsters), give then a damp wipe with a mild soap and when dry, apply 303 protectorant. I do the same for vinyl windows.