Standard Horizon CPF190i FF/GPS

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi, i am looking for any input on this unit. Marina has a display model there for a few years for $520. Is it a good unit, is it reliable, accurate, easy to operate? I have an older FF & an outdated Garmin GPS & want to combine them to one unit. Does this need any other attachments other than a transducer? Its going onto an 85 Seafarer 227.
Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
You didn't say what model it was but my first reaction was, NO. The technology has improved so dramatically in the last year or so. Even my one season old combo is already outdated.
Now if that ubit is a large screen, it may be a deal but I we need to know the model.

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its a CPF190i. 5" color screen with fishfinder & GPS combined. I looked further online & found same unit-obviously newer- for a little bit more money. I think I would order new now, but wondering if anyone has one & how it is.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a good unit. Been around for 2 years or so. Has built in coastal charts. You will need to add a transducer. That said, it's a 5 inch screen.

I'd buy new if it's only a few bucks more.

bc282

Reaction score
standard horz generally does not make any junk. IMO, their products are generally good to very good stuff. I really like their handheld VHF's--got 2 of 'em.
that model is not their latest and greatest, but will definitely get the job done.
that being said, a 5" screen is just that. Depending on your typical boating conditions and where you mount the display, may leave you wanting a larger screen. For less than one season i tried my BW handheld garmin GPS/plotter as my main plotter on a 22' and that was horrible. The garmin now serves as backup to the back up/ditch bag GPS and was usurped with a Ray C80 (8.4") MFD. A vast improvement in every way including safety--had to slow down and off plane in bumpy seas to just read the handheld and take my concentration off captaining my vessel to focus and try to see the little screen.
The 22' WA is long gone and sold with the Ray C80. With the current boat, Sailfish 282, i upgraded the electronics and went with the biggest screen i could fit on the console and with Furuno (12" NN3D). Absolutely love it. Even in split screen it looks fine. My 5" humminbird 798c SI (Seadoo GPS/FF unit) in split screen sucks for plotting, the C80 was decent. IMO, a 10" unit is the starting point for good split screen duties without great compromise.

Tideslave

Reaction score
I have a cp-300 7" with an add on sounder box. The units work great, the sounder portion of the machine marks the bottom very well. The only complaint would be the mount, I did not surface mount the unit I used the mount that came with it. When touching the buttons the unit wants to move. The unit is easy to use, program and install.