SV-2 vs. non-SV-2

anony

Reaction score
Is a non SV-2 hull a dealbreaker. I am sure it has been discussed before but couldnt find a similar thread.

As in my other post, considering 2 diff seafarers and just trying to get a sense of the actual differences between the two.

Advantages and disadvantages of each. please help...i'm confused.
Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My advice is sea trial them if you can. I suspect there may be few more Sv2 boats to choose from these days. Find one for sale and ask if they will sea trial with you. If you find a non Sv2 sea trial that and determine the differences.

In the theorhetical world, if the old hull design was so good then why change it to the SV2? Not saying the old hull was junk or will not provide a good ride, but the SV2 is a different design and will ride different. The question for you is does it make enough difference to buy or not to buy. Only you can determine this given your budget and so forth.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I had both and I would NEVER go back to the older non SV 2 HULL. Too many Gradys for sale with the SV 2 HULL to pick from. The only reason not to go with that Hull would be cost and I don't see much of a cost break.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was convinced the day my father and I picked up his new 23 Gulfstream in 05. The ride blew away my 88 25 Sailfish. The Sailfish was a great boat but it had its pounding moments...Not as much with the SeaV2.I agree with the above posts...Even it you have to reach deeper in your pocket, its money well spent.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

anony

Reaction score
not that i am trying to justify it to myself but with what we are looking for there are not that many options. We want something recently repowered and the non SV2 hull has a 4 stroke with a warranty till 2013, the SV2 hull has an 05 with no warranty. can only sea trial them with a deposit. have it down to these two right now, unless someone knows of a early 90s seafarer with a 05 or newer repower located near new york.

I am trying to determine that all other things being equal, is the SV2 worth 3-4 seasons of a warranty on an engine? right now i am leaning towrds no.

I figure the SV2 is better but is the older hull "bad" or just not as good.

sounds like it pounds worse.

anony

Reaction score
the book value cost difference between the two hulls is approx 500-600 without options figured in. If we were looking 99 compared to 90 it would be a much bigger difference.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
This is a tough call. See a 20 year old boat with a newer motor is still a 20 year old hull. The trade off is getting a newer hull with slighly older motor or newer motor with older hull...you are saying no duh.

Is the older boat in good shape? Are there any soft spots in the deck? Is the stern solid and dry? Is the gel coat crazed with those spider cracks? Is the bilge dry? There are things with older hulls that go on hidden, but could loom large and just as costly as motor repairs.

Sea trial...it is a refundable deposit is it not?

jellyfish

Reaction score
take a ride on both, deposit or find one that you don't need a deposit on. You will see and feel the difference. The pounding will get to you. Its a wetter ride as well. Find a SV 2 hull with a newer engine.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As an extension to Jellfish's comments, I would just say that there will be other boats and holding out is not the worst idea. It remains a buyers market... Either way, good luck with your decision!

3rd Day

Reaction score
Having fished a 1980 24 Offshore and now a 1993 23 Gulfstream the difference in the hull design and ride quality is, well AMAZING. No slam on the older hull design. The 24 I fished on has done an excellent job for 30 years (now retired) and has seen it's share of some really crappy water. As stated, the newer hull may offer better resale and could, like yourself be a deal maker or breaker for a subsequent buyer. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

exudedude

Reaction score
Mine is a 1990 232 with the dropdown transom..what hull is mine?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe they switched to the SV2 in '92

I just got back from a ride on G8RDave's 228, which was my first ride in an SV2 hull. I previously owned a 1986 226 Seafarer with the older hull design.

The difference in the ride characteristics is quite distinctive. The SV2 hull feels like a much heaver boat (which it is) and cuts through a short chop a lot better than the older design. The splash point, where the spray comes from, is actually located just forward of the helm station on the SV2. It was right under your feet on the older design. The SV2 transmits less of a shock to your feet and knees as the result of both the sharper entry and the forward splash point. The spray is deflected out to the side more on the SV2 hull. While we weren't in anything over 2 ft this morning, I could tell that the SV2 is a drier running hull when we ran through a barge wake. Unlike a true deep V, the SV2 boat had no tendency to roll at all when running in the trough .

The non-SV2 hull had one advantage, however. I could keep my 226 with a 200 hp 2-stroke on plane at 18 mph. After adding a hydrofoil, I could even do this in heavy seas. When the hull would start to pound in seas much over 2ft, being able to slog along slowly would let me get out to fish in much bigger seas. The SV2 hull got knocked off plane at about 24 mph and really wasn't happy unless it was running close to 30. This may well have been the effect of the transom bracket on the 228 model. The boat also had tendency to porpoise with running with a following sea. Again, that my be a characteristic of the bracket mounted engine rather than the SV2 hull design. My next test ride is going to be in a 226 with the SV2.

Is a non-SV2 hull a deal breaker? Well, an older Grady without any transom or stringer rot is a bargain if you can find one. They are very seaworthy hulls but they will pound more if you try to run them too fast in rough water. But if you slow down, you will never feel unsafe. The SV2, at least in the 228 model, rides smoother in a chop, but it needs to go faster to keep on plane. That can beat you up as much as the older hull design if the seas are steep enough. Remember that every hull is a compromise.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Very well put doc Stressor. I think you hit it right on the head. My boat does need a fair amount of forward speed to stay on plane. Of course this can be countered with trim tabs but then the mpg goes to sh#t.

exudedude

Reaction score
Well I guess I gotta get my butt on a post 93 hull to see what I am missing. My 1990 is a battle tank, my only bad situation came from a bad weather report and I got caught in a very tight chop of 3-4's.Here in Tampa Bay they call that a "confused sea" along with a 25mph wind. The only time I got wet was when she was a quartering.... Anyway I got my baby for 8k last summer. Original owner with 1700 hrs on her. She was wet slipped the last 5 yrs. She needs some luvin, but for her age she is immaculate. Other than the few items I have posted questions on today she needs new decals, teak cleaning and a good buffing... I think I got a hell of deal no matter what hull she may be.

3rd Day

Reaction score
exudedude, one thing that you got right for sure, you got a Grady!!! Well Done and enjoy. Good fishing