Taking a 209 offshore

fathergoose

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering a new 209 with a 200 XB Yamaha. I would like to be able to take it about 30 miles out on good days. Does anyone have any experience taking a 209 out this far.

Firenailer

Reaction score
I've taken my 208 out to the mud hole which is about 20 off of sandy hook. Just make sure you have the right weather and sea conditions and you'll be ok. I wouldn't do it every day as these are smallish boats for going offshore but I go out every now and then. Honestly for me running hells gate is scarier than the trip off shore as going out there means I can't time the passage for optimal currents.

These aren't the perfect boats for that kind of trip but... - check NOAA and the weather bouys, make sure the forecast is perfect, keep your radio on and monitor it, then go enjoy some fishing!

solson

Reaction score
I live in the PNW and take my 208 offshore lots of time (salmon, halibut and tuna). I take my boat across the Columbia river bar which is one of the worst on the west coast. Like the previous response said you need to pick your days and know what you are comfortable with. The boat will take much more than I like to fish in. Make sure you have the proper safety gear (radio, backup handheld vhf, gps, backup handheld gps...). Maybe find a buddy boat for a few trips. Know when condition come up to call it quits.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I routinely ran my 192 out of the east central Florida coast upwards of 20 to 30 miles. Buy a PLB or an epithet if you routinely go. It is a given if you have a small boat to pick days and weather. Have fun.