Thoughts - transducer/placement - Marlin 300

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin 300 and currently run a Garmin GSD 22 Sounder and Airmar 600W B744V transducer and fairing block. The transducer is mounted on the starboard side in the flat designated for the transducer. Overall it works pretty good but I am thinking about upgrading to the Garmin GSD 24 for a better picture. I would want to upgrade to a Airmar 1000W transducer. The issue is I have the large hole cut into the hull to support the Airmar B744V mounted in a fairing block. Two thoughts: I can fill the hole re-drill and remount a faring block with another thin diameter airmar 1000W transducer (a lot of work) or pull off the fairing block and mount a flush mount transducer? Or possibly have another transducer mounted on the port side? Theoretically I could leave my existing transducer in place and add a new transducer on the port side? Does anyone have any experience with a flush mount airmar vs. a fairing block through hull transducer and how is reads at high speed? Anyone mount a transducer on the port side? My current fairing block reads well at planing speeds. Not sure how a flush mount would work compared to the fairing block transducer?

Any help would be great….

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If the hull is a solid hull (not a dual-layer hull), and I believe it is, then a flush mount (shoot through) will work fine. I seem to recall that there's a "FAQ" section on Grady's website and it included recommended areas to install transducers, based on model. As far as mounting the second one near the first one - check with the manufacturer to see if there would be any interference problems.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is a single layer hull. I have a 1KW shoot through mounted there. You could have a glass guy address and put it there. You may be able to use the other side as you mention, I can't remember what is there. Might be good to shoot GW Cust Service an email via the website address.

tx,
dr

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Airmar now makes high performance ducers in a transom mount, including the new wide beam CHIRP. My lowly 600w works amazingly well but if U get a new boat it will have a CHIRP. Mine is mounted next to the drain plug. I can track the bottle at ALL speeds. The only downside is that the 600w output starts losing any detail over around 350'.

I had a thruhull on my 272 but the transom has every bit as much detail for the same wattage.

fishbust

Reaction score
I would be against adding a 2nd transducer on port side only because another hole in the boat is another hole in the boat and we should try to minimize holes in the boat below the waterline. Every one of them is a potential problem and there are already plenty of holes below or near the waterline.

I would try to work with the present location. That place has been designated for it by design and will provide a good picture with no flow interference.
If you fill it, I would hire someone. To fill a hole is a patch that can fail. A pro will grind out and taper both sides of the hole, making it physically impossible for the patch to mechanically fail in either direction.

I have a B744V Tri-ducer, designed to be serviceable in place and it scares me to look at it. One day I will replace it with a regular through hull transducer, no parts/seals that can fail. This year I am just servicing it with a new impellor kit and replacing the seals.