tht rotted transom thread

tilewave

Reaction score
i was reading about someone with a bad transom on their grady on "the hull truth".it got me thinking to do some preventive maintenance along those lines on my boat. do any of you remove,reseal,& reinstall items mounted on your transom ? ( naturally if something seems loose,or damaged etc) including the outboard mounting bolts, should they be resealed or tightened ??

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
YES, do not just tighten if it is loose, chances are it will not seal correctly, or if it came loose was not sealed properly in the first place. Pull the screw out, fill the hole with 4200 and then tighten the screw into place to seal it in. This is your best bet, if you can catch screws before they really loosen and they grab back real tight, they may have just settled and shifted, but I;'d still seal them unless it is like 1/8 or less of a turn. Same thing for engine mount bolts, loosen them a little, get some 4200 behind them on both sides and retighten to seal around the nut and bolt.

uncljohn

Reaction score
when i first got my 228 6 years ago, I pulled every fitting off of the transom and let it dry for 6 months. Then I rebedded everything w/ 4000. I hav since removed my kicker b/c THAT was the main thing that liked to work its way loose, and allow water intrusion.

I had a bad spot in the transom. The transom is 3 layers of 3/4" ply, and the middle layer had some rot. I drilled numerous holes from the bilge into the middle layer and affixed a low pressure pump and moved that from hole to hole for about 2 months, slowly drying out the transom. Then I pumped epoxy into each hole into the middle layer of rotted ply. I pumped probably 1-2 qts of epoxy into it, but its solid now. Hopefully I'll get a few more years out before I need to replace it completely. I did this 3 years ago.

izzy

Reaction score
When I repowed my 1994 explorer I pulled the aluminum trim off the trans and was suprised to see no sealent under the trim or in the srew holes

capecodder86

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I am going to go look at a 1994 209 Escape with a 200 evinrude on it. What kind of field tests can i perform righ there on the spot to see if its has problems or not? How to I check for transom rot?