Tips on how a Grady handles?

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
RussGW270
When docking, go SLOOOOOW. You can recover so much easier and if things go wrong, which sometimes does happen, damage is avoided. Using to much throttle is your enemy. Don"t panic, Don't Yell.
I've owned a 9 boats, the last being 3 Grady's, a 20 , 25, and now 33. Biggest mistake I see when people are docking or undocking is not using a piling to pivot on. Single engine boats don't maneuver like twins. Remember, Grady put the rub rails on a boat for a reason, don't be afraid to use them. Again, this falls back on going SLOW. Let the boat pivot on a piling if necessary, Its not going to destroy the "RUB RAIL" and you'll find docking safer and easier. I found that everytime someone tried to keep the boat off a piling, docking didn't go as planned. I learned this 25+ years ago from a friend.

Magicbill advised "5.) Trim your engines up some. Yes, I said UP. You want to direct the prop thrust to shoot below your transom "V" Line where the drain plug is. Otherwise, the prop wash will boil around the transom area, creating unnecessary turbulence and limiting the effectiveness of engine thrust."
In 44 years of boating I never truly thought of this. So I'm going to try it next time out and see how the 330 reacts. It could be great advice or not work for me. But I will try it and practice. I have to come out of my slip straight, and turn 90 degrees to starboard. The area is about 40 feet wide. Sounds like a lot of room with a 330 until you include a pulpit and two motors off the stern making the boat about 37 feet long! 3 foot margin of error?

Slow and steady. Don't panic.

When docking at an unfamiliar marina, take your time, get in the slip and then LOOK at how other boats are tied. Make adjustments, ask questions. Ask the dock hands or the office for help if necessary and tip them if they help you.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Oh get some friends that still have their sacks and don’t need their wives permission to hang out with a bud. ;)
Basic bloodweiser 101

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am taking this 8000btu back and getting the biggest 120 they have lol...it rocks, just needs a tiny more oomf so it can rock faster hehe.

when I swapped the 30amp breaker,must have crossed a wire or something. No outlets. Ran a cable from shore power straight to the a/c;)

Backed the boat right into the slip. Did not hit anyone lol. Cursed a lot when I realized the plugs did not work heh, but I am a sailor, is to be expected.

10lbs squid, 10lbs frozen sardines, 2 dozen ribbon fish....hope to catch some bait in the morning, we will see.

Forgot live shrimp. Will grab that in the morning.

R

Attachments

• C5122F47-5A75-4E79-9F46-6DE056D21F8F.jpeg
    C5122F47-5A75-4E79-9F46-6DE056D21F8F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1
  • FCEDB0ED-33A3-4637-A2D9-DCAE8A831EC1.jpeg
    FCEDB0ED-33A3-4637-A2D9-DCAE8A831EC1.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Russ,
I’m happy for you, enjoy the boat . Play with it . You deserve to enjoy it .