TRANSOM STYLE ON 25' GW QUESTION

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have seen more than one transom style on the Sailfish model of the GW. Is one preferred? The boat will be used for diving and some light tackle fishing in the Sea of Cortez.
yb

amr72

Reaction score
I love my 255 which has the rare notched style transom as I fish off of the stern 90% of the time. The full transom with the bracket is also nice for keeping water out of the boat, but a bit more dangerous should a large amount of it ever get in. The Eurotransom is my least favorite as it seems to shorten the boat by moving the crew 6 feet or more away from the back of the motors, in my opinion a waste of precious space.

JeffN

Reaction score
I like my solid transom with the I/O and swim deck. Easy to fish and dive from as well. I think you said in another thread you were looking a a '90 era sailfish, so I think your choices are notched, solid with a bracket and OBs, or solid with I/Os. No euro transoms back then I think. But I agree with the above comment about euro transoms, those motors are a long way back. Most people probably like what they are used too.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Choice of power will be largely determinative. If OB's are your choice, avoid bracket at all costs and look for 255 notched transom. Don't be fooled by false claims for the added of "safety" of a "full" transom with engine bracket.
Ride, then decide.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was about to say that was from a bye gone era, long since over except for those like me.

Others beat me to it.

1993 was the last year ending the "choice of Sailfish" model days.

The Sailfish model was discontinued last year, broke my Grady luving heart.

What a crown it wore, no 25 ft boat has done so much for so long to change the entire range of what defines offshore capable, everybody else copied it, and I mean everybody.

My 92 is not for sale !!

10th yr season coming up.

You just missed the opportunity of a lifetime, a no equal mint condtion 1993 - 252G, just sold from member Brian GW204 to a guy up north. Would have bought it myself but already have one.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not to forget the Dolphins and Trophys, same hull, less cabin, so that doubled the offerings.

The Op can go to the Grady White website, you can see catalog of every year made, have fun.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's for diving I'd say get an I/O with a full length swim platform.

Mine has an aftermarket bracket with a swim platform. It's much better than the original bracket, there is very little bow rise. I'll take a bracket boat with the added box space and access space into the bilge any day.