trim stuck - need help

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
The trim on my Yamaha 0X66 250hp is stuck in the down position. I just got the boat a couple months ago and have noticed some leaking from the trim unit so I am pretty sure it is in need of fluid. But now that it is stuck in the down position I am having a hard time figuring out how to get trimmed back up so that I can put more fluid in. The screw on the side is completely stuck that is supposed to relieve the pressure on the trim unit. Before I destroy the screw, is there a better way to get it elevated so I can fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
this recently happened to me.... there's supposed to be a screw on the right-side bracket when looking from behind the boat, look at the bracket from the side... you can loosen the screw and manually raise/trim the motor, and loosen/lock the engine in place via some mechanism.. that I never got to... mine was soo old, the screw head was broken and fused tight..

I raised/pulled the engine up by hand as far as I could and wedged a pipe underneath between the motor and the brackets... this was the best work around in my case, so I can transport the boat without the lower unit bouncing on the road.. and to get access to the fill screw behind it.. adding fluid didn't work.. there was a leak in the unit... I had a couple options to replace the unit.. but I opted to repower.

hope this helps

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Hopefully mine is not in that bad of shape as the motor only has 225 hours and is clean throughout. I am having a heck of a time loosing that screw though. I really don't want it to strip either as this is a load bearing unit that isn't as simple as drilling it out and replacing. Any ideas out there on how to loosed this screw without stripping? Impact wrench? Is there some sort of a way to get lubricant in the screw casing to loosen it?

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
trim gurgling

So after using a torque wrench I was able to loosen the tilt/trim manual screw without any problem. Got the motor up to the flip bracket and filled the fluid cylinder to the top. I tightened the manual screw and let the motor down until it came in contact with the trim pistons. Now the trim works fine from the bottom to about 1/4 of the way up. The motor sounds fine and never changes pitch but just doesn't go up any higher. It is also very slow. When i re-loosen the tilt/trim screw the engine lowers with a gurgling sound. So it seems like there is air in the system. How do you bleed the air out? What is the proper step by step process to fill the fluid without getting the air in there so I can get the motor all the way up?

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The mechanic I use told me that you may need to repeat the process a few times until there's no air left in the system..