Trim Tabs

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents,
Ok, I'm budgeting for these next year. Searched and read tons of posts. A simple question that I can't find directly answered: Do they make the boat go faster compared to trimming the engine? Some indicate yes some indicate no. Mabey the size of the boat makes the difference.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I don't know about speed but smoother and more efficient which may equate to more speed (real or perceived)

THe tabs help level the boat port to starboard which a single motor can't do (twin set ups can). By running level as opposed to leaning to one side the boat is more efficient.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok got it. But if that's the case; how come you guys with twins don't adjust the port to starbord list by trimming the appropriate motor?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think it depends on the speed for the given rpm. With tabs, we're able to keep the bow down and stay on plane at a much lower RPM, which is very nice coming home on the sloppy days from offshore.

So, we go faster at the mid-rpm ranges for our motor with the tabs solely because we can stay on plane. Without the tabs, at those rpm's, the bow would be pointing straight up in the air.

Do they help your top end speed? Nope, since at that point all they are doing is adding drag.

Our 208 rides so much nicer with the tabs in almost any sea condition than it did before the tabs. I think you'll like them!

LI Grady

Reaction score
Good question.

Its much easier and effcient to trim a twin engine set up with tabs (again talking port-to-starbord) then the motor. With the motors at differnet trim levels the boat my be level but the motors thrust will not be in concert thus losing efficiency there.

The drag created by a trim tab is less then the lost efficiency in the motors/thrust

Boating Magazine had a good article on this a few moths ago. It may be available online

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
These descriptions of their performance are spot-on.

For wide open I don't trim down, but still need a little starboard bow down from prop torque. So they really aren't doing anything at top speed. For everything between they are almost indispensable.

If you are just looking for some fore-aft trim, consider a PERMATRIM or similar device on your motor. It doesn't do anything for side-to-side trim, but for low speed planing, and bow attitude, they work really well.

You can read about hem here. Andy at SIM is the US importer.
http://www.permatrimmarine.com/

(Gee, I should sell these things...this is the second post about them today :roll:)

LI Grady

Reaction score
My marina neighbor put those on his Steigercraft and had been raving about them. I'm planning on installing them for next season.

mhff34

Reaction score
If trim tabs can keep your bow down when you are doing 10-15 kts they are well worth it. I didn't have them on my 208 but have them on my 272 , granted different boat, but to be able to cruise around at 10-15kts without the bow way up in the air and the people in back practically falling into the water is great. Sometimes I would have people on the 208 who were a little fearful and to get a comfortable ride, I had to either choose between trolling speed or 18 kts , and 18 was a little fast for them. Again not sure if tabs will do that on your boat, although I think they will ,but keeping the boat level at slower speeds adds alot to your boating.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, Boating Magazine didn't let me read that article without subscribing. I think I read something significant here. Are we saying at high speed triming the motor has a more negative effect on performance than trim tabs? In other words, altering engine thrust is worst, performance wise, than creating resistance with the tabs. I understand some of you guys are in ocean conditions all the time. I use my boat on the bay and rivers and there are times when conditions are mirror like and I get a need for speed. I'm assuming the boat is proped right. My max RPM is right in the middle of the range.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For glass conditions and speed you shouldn't need trim-tabs, and your motor should be trimmed up to just under cavitation level for peak rpm.

At speed your hull doesn't need any help, other than to correct prop torque. Unless you're carrying a lot of weight in the stern and need some bow-down trim. But that will definitely affect your top speed.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
T-22 w/ 225 Honda: I trim mine for best performance under given conditions. After having studied the fuel flow gage, on my boat at normal cruise, engine trim has greater affect than tabs when it comes to MPG. The further I can trim it up, given the conditions, the better the numbers. After that, I trim the tabs for best ride without any lean. Usually the MPG doesn't change unless I'm pushing the bow down to counter a chop. :wink:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
..has anyone used smart tabs?

Smart tabs work great ... if you're running in identical conditions and the same balanced load all the time. Save your money another year and do it right. Ebay is a great source for new component parts if you don't have to have instant gratification ... :wink: