Twin Verados, older Grady

gw204

Reaction score
But look where the actual scum line is....just below the top edge of the scuppers. I imagine that's no worse than most other older boats.

It actually looks like it sits pretty well to me.

GWcpa

Reaction score
That is a heck of a price for it. I thought it sat pretty well considering the weight as well, but I also know what the answer would be if someone asked about repowering with twin Verados on this site.

That was a big project and expense to have it on the market so soon.

It does look like that Armstrong bracket is pretty deep and adds a few pounds of bouyancy, but not enough to totally offset the weight. Maybe it has 20 gallons of fuel in it?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No such thing as a bracket that will raise the boat at rest, unless it has a hook from the dock overhead fish hoist connected to it and cranked up.

The new bracket appears to be a further setback design as well to clear the tall inline 6 cyl mercs on tilt.

If the boat was fully loaded with fuel the stern would drop about 2 inches. I bet he's not selling a boat with $1000 of fuel in it.

For $65K, I would expect to see four verados, not two, where are the other two? The guy must really like verados.
They are sinister looking, like old time mercs look to me.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i t looks like it is an Armstrong bracket. I thought that the boat looked like it sat pretty well. For $39K asking, doesn't seem to be unreasonable, if the hull and performance check out OK.

I wonder what the real story is.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A floatation bracket will raise the stern. I put on a Hermco bracket this year and it's a few inches higher. With both tanks full, the scuppers are above the water, not by much but above.

That boat has an Armstrong bracket. There's 3 versions: a 2 stroke, a 4 stroke, and a wide body. Check out their web site and see the pictures. The wide body is a freaking tub and will give a lot of lift. That boat probably has the 4 stroke version and no/little fuel in the secondary tank. The V6 Verado's are around 650# each, so one engine weighs 150# less than BOTH 2 strokes from that era.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's the factory specs on the hermco bracket to lift the stern - lowering the waterline?
Lbs of displacement, weight, cubic feet of volume, however they show it. I asked for this info before from the guy in Jersey hawking them, never was answered. And nothing on website.

And what's the setback, same as Grady Drive?

How much water was in your Grady drive bracket to set the original water line, gallons will do.

My car rides better after it is washed and waxed, really, have a tunnel to sell with guaranteed revenues 365 days per year, just sold a bridge.

stinkyfingers

Reaction score
i have to agree with grog. i had the hermco bracket installed on my 90 trophy pro. before the new bracket scuppers were under water. now they our high and dry period. don't now any specs or why but the boat definitly sits higher in the water. they are not cheap but it will make a huge difference

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
What's the factory specs on the hermco bracket to lift the stern - lowering the waterline?
Lbs of displacement, weight, cubic feet of volume, however they show it. I asked for this info before from the guy in Jersey hawking them, never was answered. And nothing on website.

And what's the setback, same as Grady Drive?

How much water was in your Grady drive bracket to set the original water line, gallons will do.

My car rides better after it is washed and waxed, really, have a tunnel to sell with guaranteed revenues 365 days per year, just sold a bridge.

Tell you what, post a pic of your scuppers with both tanks full and I'll post one. The manufacturer really can't give a hard number because it depends upon how low the bracket is mounted, the lower, the more lift. I forgot what he said for the lift # but I think he said 350#. The setback is close maybe 1" further. The old bracket wasn't dry inside but less that a gallon.

whitey

Reaction score
stinkyfingers said:
i have to agree with grog. i had the hermco bracket installed on my 90 trophy pro. before the new bracket scuppers were under water. now they our high and dry period. don't now any specs or why but the boat definitly sits higher in the water. they are not cheap but it will make a huge difference

is your boat docked in wildwood somewhere?? i believe i seen it.where did you get the bracket from?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Let me correct myself, every bracket ever built is a flotation bracket.
So is every hull ever built.

If the vendor provides a dimensional scaled drawing, and weight of the product, I can do my own calculations.

I have everything I need now for the grady drive, need no specs from Grady.

The bracket can only be mounted so low on the transom, just like the grady drive is mounted, otherwise you run out of transom to thru bolt to. I don't see the big deal in positioning it - that is some kind of trade secret only marine service mechanics can master ?

So I'll take the drawing and lay it out in position as low as possible on an autocad drawing of my hull in profile, then figure difference in displacement with the computer. I have a waterline reference now from the bow right through the drive.

What's holding the boat the level it is now at rest is the massive hull creatin dispacement, not the tiny drive relatively speaking, with a 1/2 ton of motors off it in a cantiliver state on less. The further setback doesn't help it.

If I ever replace mine, I would like a lesser setback.

Since drive is tiny vs the hull, there's got to be a lot more volume on this product vs. grady drive to matter. Just to get a cubic foot more ain't easy. The photo's I've seen from below don't show a lot of difference to me, could be though, just didn't look that way. My grady drive is pretty massive as it begins at the hull, but looses depth and width as it extends to the rear.

When the vendor posts this non-proprietary info somewhere, I'll provide my on calcs of one vs. the other in displacement. It's not proprietary, since any one with a bracket can make a drawing from it, and weight it on a scale.

I'm a person of science, this is pure science, no hat trick and nothing to do with glass vs. metal construction. No smoke and mirror magic show.

And my car does drive better after wash and wax.

gw204

Reaction score
It's not the bracket...it's the motors.

Everyone knows Mercs are God's gift to the outboard industry. So, naturally they want to rise up...and pull up whatever is attached to them. :D :D :D

Hey Bob, I'll take that tunnel if no one else has spoken for it. I've always wanted one of those. :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those supercharged mercs are reaching for the sky, that must be the ticket !

wilson

Reaction score
those scuppers are at the same position underwater as mine, 252g with twin 200 hpdi's. i still have the g/w bracket. i don't care , mine sits on a trailer when not in the water.