Underside of Swin Platform

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While doing some spring cleaning I discovered some bare wood under the swim platform. I will repair but need advice on what to use. I'm guessing its an epoxy paint of some sort. Anyone know what was originally used.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Keith,
I would strip some of the older material off and if it were me, I would apply high grade resin on the wood to seal it and then paint it with an epoxy paint. you could even add some glass to it I suppose then paint it. I need to get down there and fish with you again....good times.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I planned on doing. I spoke with Grady White customer service on the phone and she told me that was gelcoat underneath. I'm not sure she's correct on that.

I'll just hotcoat the bare wood and repaint the bottom with an epoxy paint.

I'm getting things ready to fish this spring. Haven't been able to go the past couple of years and I'm really itching to get offshore.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Let me know and maybe we get down to C-town and fish with you.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Oh,Oh,Oh,,me, me, me,,,,,I'm game to crew on one of your alls boats. I'm still around!! :mrgreen:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It does look like gelcoat to me. Plus, my Sundancer has a light gelcoat spray in areas like that. Just make sure the wood is good and dry before you do anything. Another option is to just mix up some epoxy (like West System, if you happen have some laying around) and tint it.

gw204

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything other than rough it up and coat it with epoxy. Judging from that big crack in it, no repair is going to last. The only real way to fix it is to pull the platform, remove that piece of wood and glass in a new one.