WATER IN MOTOR BRACKET

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I thought I would take a look in my 2004 232 twin motor bracket today using the top round cover. I saw alot of water and wanted to find out how much.
I found a 5 gal bucket and unscrewed the bottom plug (yes on the trailer)
52 gallons later !!!!
I was surprised that I have been carrying this extra weight around, 312 Pounds !!!
Boy, it will be interesting to see the performance now.
It looks like the O rings are shrunk up, I will replace both top and bottom and recheck later. You might take a look in there and not get the surprise I had.
I store the boat on a trailer and just had the boat in the water two days.
Jim

seasick

Reaction score
Great story.. Did you notice that the handling had changed?

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not really, but we were always loaded to the max the last few trips. One thing I did notice, when I slowed to an idle the ass was low as the sternwake caught up.
Jim

richie rich

Reaction score
re-sealing the access plates helps, but also the engine bolts to bracket holes leak badly as well. My 88 sailfish 25 was loaded as well....opened the access holes, pulled out each engine mounting bolt and resealed with 4200.....after 2 years in a marina only a gallon or so dumps out at the end of the season.

grady23

Reaction score
I had to re-seal the "O" rings on my '97 after finding about 15 Gals in my Gil-Bracket.
BTW ---You were caring 416 Lbs of extra weight -- Water = 8/lbs per Gal.

isurus22

Reaction score
I have a leak in my bracket too on a 228. Ive tried to seal it with no sucess. Mine is filled with foam though so it only adds up to a few gallons. I actually leave the plug out (on the bracket) so it drains while on plane.
My suggestion is to fill it with a spray in foam so when it fills it won't be much volume. Or remove the top of the bracket and get a big block of closed cell foam and place it inside.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't understand why there is not a foam block in there, then it's less than 15 gallons or so.

Was any water leaking out/stains on the bracket when it was full (was boat on land at the time), if so, and no leaks, reseal the inspection ports )above water line).

If you didn't check or it wasn't out of water, get it out of water and refill bracket with the garden hose to see if it's leaking elswhere than the port you opened to fill it.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I rigged a water hose to screw into the bracket drain plug (short length of 3/4" hose with a female water hose fitting on one end, 1/2" male fitting on the other). Took a couple of screws out of the access plate, then used very gentle water pressure until the bracket was full. Mine was leaking around the perimeter, so I re-bedded with 4000UV (or maybe 4200UV), didn't leak more than a few drops all last summer ... :wink:

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat was on the trailer and no water was leaking out. I believe it was coming in the bottom plug and the top access. The top access O ring was out of place (you could see the dirt mark), this was my focus as no water was leaking around the hull, motor bolts or bottom plug. I replaced both O rings, top and bottom. I'm testing now.
Thanks, Jim