Weak AUX Exhaust- Excessive Bubbles- Yamaha F300

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At idle that exhaust port should be active but should not be below water constantly. Has your boat recently started sitting deeper in the water than before?

Greatmojo

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
At idle that exhaust port should be active but should not be below water constantly. Has your boat recently started sitting deeper in the water than before?
Nope. This video is at idle.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood what I was seeing in that short video. I thought that load of bubbles was due to the idle exhaust port being submerged and the idle poppet was releasing exhaust due to idle speed.

Greatmojo

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ah got it. The idle exhaust is not submerged. The idle poppet is “weak” in comparison to the port engine and seems it’s releasing it below the water. Here's a longer video showing the comparison of the two engines: https://youtube.com/shorts/y8gZNL5fSQs

Last edited:

Greatmojo

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Problem solved. Salt build up in idle exhaust. Cleared it out- problem solved.

Attachments

• CD98CAAF-C47B-45DB-9404-6CA1E5522145.jpeg
    CD98CAAF-C47B-45DB-9404-6CA1E5522145.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

seasick

Reaction score
That's a lot of buildup. Have you checked your t-stat chambers?
Do you fresh water flush after use?
Do you boat on the Great Salt Lake? :)

Greatmojo

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
T-stats are brand new. Chambers looks great and I always replace the t-stats every 300hrs regardless of how they look and flush with salt away after every use… I’ve never shot the hose in this idle exhaust boot though, but I’ll certainly be doing that moving forward. I’m told this build up is a product of 100’s of hours trolling in hot/humid weather (mostly in south Florida & Bahamas) , but who knows…

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's good to know..
I am happy that it was that simple.
When I read the post, my first thought was an exhaust leak due to corrosion or a bad gasket:(

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
T-stats are brand new. Chambers looks great and I always replace the t-stats every 300hrs regardless of how they look and flush with salt away after every use… I’ve never shot the hose in this idle exhaust boot though, but I’ll certainly be doing that moving forward. I’m told this build up is a product of 100’s of hours trolling in hot/humid weather (mostly in south Florida & Bahamas) , but who knows…
Ha!
I have exactly the same problem with my 2019 F250, salt builds up between exhaust and the black silencer/water trap box and all exhaust gasses escape on lower unit.
Cleaning the salt buildup at 100hr service and all is good but 30 hours later it start again till quickly idle exhaust is completely clogged.

Does not seem to be a problem, as technicians said same; comes from long idling and low speed trolling.
However, the noisy bubbling at idle drove me nuts, now I am used to it.

Never had that an any outboard I owned.

Good to know that I am not alone ...

Chris