What a night..

Rosstafari

Reaction score
Hey guys just thought I should share a story with you all so that maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes Monday night i took a ride out to block island to put the updated registration in my car out there and on my way home the fog rolled in quite heavy. Soon after that it got dark. So here i am in the fog and its pitch black and the steering decides to let go. i was 7 miles off of watch hill rhode island when i lost my steering. I went down below to discover that one of the fittings on the back of my helm loosened itself up and while i was steering i was actually driving all the fluid out of the system. This could have been a some what easy fix if i had extra fluid on board which i didn't. I ended up tying off both motors with spare dock lines to keep the motors straight. After doing this i was able to steer port to starboard by adding and reducing throttle to each motor. I got my self 1 mile off of watch hill passage and finally decided to make the call to tow boat US. They were on location within the hour and after a 2 hour tow back to mystic I was home sweet home. Moral of the story is keeping spare parts on board.. Im just glad that this happened to me now early in the season and not 80 miles off shore. I have had my 265 for about 3 months and im still getting to know her, hopefully ill have it all dialed in by the end of the summer lol On a side note if any upgrades have been performed by the previous owner. for example addition of such parts like auto pilot, make sure to double check that everything was put together correctly and properly tightened or you could run into a similar issue :bang

noXcuse

Reaction score
That sucks man. Stupid question though. Since you had already went 6 miles without steering, why not finish up that last mile? I wasn't there, so I'm just a little curious.