What bottom paint?

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
Hi all, New to the forum just purchased 330 express with f-250's so power on the low side. I did not want to bottom paint but everyone says to do so. I have access to high dry but the boat maxes out the capacity of the fork lift. I have been looking at the dorall "smooth sailing" product but have no idea. We are located on the west coast of florida so water temp gets pretty high for summer. Has anyone used the dorall product or does anyone know the best bottom paint that would be the least performance killer? I wish they would make a clear bottom coating or maybe someone found one to match the grady white color? Any help would be great thank you.

MikeBravo

Reaction score
I used Petit Trinidad 75 lift paint. Picked the navy blue color to match the decals. Had it done at Snug Harbor Marine in Madeira Beach. I keep my Grady on a lift.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Check out the Pettit "Vivid". The colors are brighter than most. Although I haven't done this, apparently you can even burnish it to produce a smoother surface. That being said, bottom usually only detracts a very small amount (maybe a MPH or two, max) from a boat's speed. If it looks like you'll have to keep her in the water, it'll be a lot better than what the growth will do - plus you don't have to do the monthly cleaning.

fishbust

Reaction score
What will offer the least drag is VC Offshore. Used it on my last boat. Awesome stuff, very thin, doesn't build up much and will offer the best performance over other types of anti-fouling paint.
It can also be burnished for even better performance.

Lot's of folks do not use it because it is not compatible over other paints. So, people need to strip the hull to use it or use it from the first time they paint.
I stripped my last hull myself, a ton of work but when it was all done, it was like a different boat and was well worth the effort.

I am stuck with Trinidad on my grady because it is already painted but if I ever strip it, I will go right back to using VC Offshore.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I started Pettit Hydrocoat a few years ago - it is thinner than some of the stuff our there and goes on fast with a roller and is easy to clean up with soap and water - I have not had any issues with it's functionality - stays looking good and minimizes the growth as good as any paint I have had - wish it was around longer so I could have avoided the build up of the old stuff - Cleaning that off will be a project for future time - Good luck

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have used Pettet Hydrocoat with great success. I paint the bottom a 2 coat job and it lasts 3 seasons. I repaint the bottom when I can see the different color of the base coat. In my area the regular paint works great. I never have an issue with slime or grass that requires the more expensive paints that have the grass and slime inhibitors.

HMBJack

Reaction score
"...just purchased 330 express with f-250's so power on the low side." <<< Who told you that? Let me guess - the same guy who told you about clear bottom paint? GW used to power all 330's with F225's and they are darn good engines. Either the 225 or the 250 is at least adequate in my opinion. My 330 with 500 hp will run 33 knots heavy. Anyway - as to your question - you can't go wrong with Interlux Micron 66 and I have heard good things about Trinidad paint. Of course, it's all about the preparation. Just rememebr, you need a different paint for your aluminum engine brackets and skeg. For this, I recommend Interlux Trilux 33. Good luck with the 330. You're gonna love it!