What is the purpose of these small keys?

scorow

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I purchased my 2012 Freedom 307 almost 7 months ago, and don't have contact with the former owner. I came across the small keys shown in the photo, but haven't been able to figure out their purpose. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks.Small boat keys.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Southco brand lock usually on the cabin door, head door or maybe an electronics box (less likely)
It is also possible they were for a different boat or replaced locks since there are so many

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
1615983431765.png

This is what the lock looks like for those keys! You probably have three of those type latches as they provide two keys per lock.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Cabin hatch, all draws and boxes that have keyed locks

All of the individual locks come with their own keys, hence the multiple identical keys.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A group of identical keys came with my 2006 208 and they fit the locks shown by wspitler and on drawers etc. mentioned by Legend.

seasick

Reaction score
A group of identical keys came with my 2006 208 and they fit the locks shown by wspitler and on drawers etc. mentioned by Legend.
And they fit most of those locks on other folk's boats too:)

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Fishtales

Reaction score
all keyed alike which makes them pretty much useless except to keep the owner out. i suggest you never lock em but save them as they can lock themselves.

Reactions: Dhirsh

scorow

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks, all. Fishtales' comments sound like a good idea.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Thanks, all. Fishtales' comments sound like a good idea.
Yes, Fishtales is 100% correct. Those southco latches figure out a way to lock themselves all the time.. Even more when you dont have a key and its usually on the hatch you need to get in the most. Lol. Put one on your ignition key chain. You’ll certainly need it at some point.

Reactions: scorow

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Interesting about everyone having the same key...had not thought about it, but will keep that in mind. Not that I keep anything really valuable on board, but it would still suck to lose a couple spinning outfits, particularly if they were planned on being used that day. Probably will continue to lock the door, but with a different view of it. The idea of a security camera moves up a couple of notches on the list, too.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have tried the keys on a couple of my lockable hatches but never use them as my boat is garage kept. It would probably take another Grady owner to to use them nefariously on some one else's boat, and I just could not imagine that being a remote possibility.....could you? Just not sure why some many of the same key arrived with my boat, but as I attempt to age gracefully maybe it is a blessing "where did I put that key?".......good thing I have 10 more!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I believe locks are made to keep honest people honest. A thief will always find a way. Do we think that a flimsy hatch will stop a serious thief? If pilferage is the issue, I'd rather they steal equipment than do serious damage to structure, hatches, etc. I remove any real valuable stuff and leave the boat closed up, but unlocked in most cases.

seasick

Reaction score
Many folks at my club do the same thing; leave the cabin unlocked since the damage done by someone breaking in can be a big and expensive deal

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, but they can check the box that the latch has a lock.