What to do with carpet at helm/cockpit?

Mwills98

Reaction score
Everything else on the boat looks great but tired of looking at the nasty old carpet in the cockpit. What should I do to replace it. Was thinking of maybe using 1/4 inch starboard? Appreciate any suggestions and pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,543

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It might be easier to just cut the carpet out and re-glue new stuff back in, rather than getting starboard to fit the contours.

However, the carpet actually look like it's in decent shape - it still looks well attached, just moldy. I would at least give cleaning it a shot. Start with some soap and water, maybe something like Simple Green or Spray Nine and a stiff bristle brush and a hose. Then spray it with a diluted solution of bleach/water. It might just turn out to pretty nice - or at least much better and all it took was a little time and energy.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What I did on my 92 Explorer...cleaned the carpet and bleached it....I let it dry and then purchased some carpet spray paint...went with a darker gray. Its been 4 years and its still looks great. I just took down all my curtains and was careful with overspray and did it without removing from the boat. Only thing I can say is the paint gave the carpet a more rigid texture but its not like im laying down on it...its storage...but I would give it a try...ill post pics...simple and done for under 25$ and im a perfectionist

Mwills98

Reaction score
The_Chain said:
What I did on my 92 Explorer...cleaned the carpet and bleached it....I let it dry and then purchased some carpet spray paint...went with a darker gray. Its been 4 years and its still looks great. I just took down all my curtains and was careful with overspray and did it without removing from the boat. Only thing I can say is the paint gave the carpet a more rigid texture but its not like im laying down on it...its storage...but I would give it a try...ill post pics...simple and done for under 25$ and im a perfectionist

Sounds like something worth a shot before I go through the trouble to rip it out. Love to see a pic with the color used. Thanks for the suggestion.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just finished ripping mine out while performing some surgery on hardtop mounts being loose due to water intrusion. Cut out the wet wood and epoxied in new with layers of 1708.
The new carpet was installed using the spray adhesive and looks great!.
I would definitely try some strong carpet cleaners or strong industrial cleaners with water hose pressure rinse first. Usually , the monkeyfur type will come clean.