When did you get your first Grady-White?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know you have the Journey up for sale, what are you moving to?
Thinking that a 282 would be nice on some of the longer trips, but hopefully would still be something I could fish solo when I want to. Torn though - a center console would be nice for 80% of the boating I/we do (fishing, diving, snorkeling).

Reactions: Ky Grady

Carl

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bought my first Grady last May in Billings Montana . 1984 Offshore 24 absolutely mint condition never had a hole drilled in it no options, no electronics, no bottom paint, no canvas, no wipers and a 225 Suzuki 2 stroke on a bracket with 300hrs. Towed it home to Calgary on the very nice trailer it came with. Spent the next 2 months rigging it up for the coast. Installed canvas enclosure, scotty electric down riggers on swivel bases, 9.9 Mercury pro kicker with tilt and helm controls on its own pod, chart plotter, sonar and a V.H.F. Towed the boat for 15hrs. to Prince Rupert then 8hrs on a ferrie to Haida Gwaii then another 20 minute ferrie to our cottage in Sandspit. Spent most of the summer fishing as much as possible with fuel at 1.77 per liter or 6.69 a us gallon that's 300.00 minimum if you only salmon fish 4 or 5 hundred if you go get some prawns and halibut . The boat performed perfect all summer had it in some extreme conditions with no issues. She cruises nice at 4200rpm at 32 mph I have had it up to over 40mph at about 5000rpm but I don't want to push it I hear these motors blow easily. Fuel consumption is about the same as my friends Parker with a Yamaha 250 4 stoke. I love this boat next year I am installing a heater,radar arch, radar, auto pilot, build some tackle storage under the seats and install a higher pedestal for the helm seat.

Attachments

• BOAT.jpg
    BOAT.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 15

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Tip of the hat to you and your wife for diving in Gloucester, MA. Hardy souls, you are. I'll go when the water hits 78 degrees, but I prefer 80!

Still dive for the lobsters but not nearly as much as we did. I envy your 80 degrees. Lucky to hit low 60's in June and 70 in August. And that's on the surface! It helps to have a warm water shower on the transom. We go somewhere in the Caribbean every year and were diving in St. Lucia last month. Gorgeous! More like your water.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thinking that a 282 would be nice on some of the longer trips, but hopefully would still be something I could fish solo when I want to. Torn though - a center console would be nice for 80% of the boating I/we do (fishing, diving, snorkeling).

The more I look into the 282, I'm thinking that if, and when I upgrade, I'll seriously look into a Sailfish. I'm not a CC fan, just doesn't work for my style of fishing, I enjoy the walkarounds.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I have always admired Grady White boats growing up in South Florida, and was excited when my brother purchased a 2002 26-3 Chase. He has a timeshare in the Keys and I have had the pleasure of fishing from his boat many times. In the mid 80's I purchased a 1984 Answer Fishmaster with a 150 Merc Blackmax, had it 5 years before selling it to raise two children. A year ago I got the itch to own a boat again since the kids are on their own and we have all this water to play in here in Jupiter. I started looking for something around 17 foot thinking I wanted it for mainly river use, and also affordability. I started focusing on Sea Craft boats since they were always one of my favorites, but I stumbled upon this Grady White Seafarer 226 on Craigslist. It was local and priced very low needing quite a bit of work. I honestly didn't think I could afford a decent G.W. on my budget. After having my boat mechanic friend do a survey, I made a very conservative offer. He countered at 2,400.00 and the rest is history. I have spent the last year doing the restoration, what a very challenging but enjoyable journey it's been! For a 30+ year old boat to spend its whole life in South Florida, and hold up this well, just shows how well they were built. How many 30+ year old 140 Johnson Looper outboards are still running strong sporting original untouched power heads? This boat really performs extremely well, but economy is not to be had with these old outboards. This is probably the only negative we have with it so far, I can look past the gallons per mile thing for now. :cool:

wash down.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I bought my first Grady 11 years ago. Originally I had whaler center consoles. When my dock slip got upgraded, I started looking at larger walk-around boats as they fit my use of fishing in the northeast a whole lot better. Originally I went to a dealership to look at 282 sailfish, when I spotted a 265 express. I loved the design and ended up buying the boat. We sea trialed it in February on long island after having to shovel the snow out of the cockpit before we left the dock. I had the boat for 10 seasons and put over 1100 hrs on her until I upgraded to 305 express at the end of last season.

GWcpa

Reaction score
First Grady was a 1999 208 bought in 2003 sold 2005
Second 2001 232D bought in 2005, sold 2006
Third 2004 205 in 2007, sold in 2009.

Took me 9 years and just got a 2012 225 Freedom. Have wanted another one for years, bought a few other boats in the mean time, finally got back into a Grady and am happy about that.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got my Seafarer 226 after my dad passed in 2013, he left me a bunch of money so I bought a 2003 from my friend who wanted to get rid of payment. Was able to get the boat for 2500 under what he owed. My dad’s nickname was Lefty because he was a good baseball player and batted left hand. I name the boat after him “Lefty’s Skiff”

E2B55259-4ABD-4CD2-B8B7-89E40B1394DA.jpeg

Reactions: GWcpa and Ky Grady

capeguy

Reaction score
Labor Day weekend in 2001 was reading the sports page of the Boston Sunday Globe and saw a small add for a GW180. After years of wearing down my wife by pointing out every boat i saw, she just said "Go get it". I did. a 99 GW 180 with a Yammie 130. Fantastic boat, we had a blast on it for years. In 2011 a friend offered me a deal on an '06 Sailfish 282 with very low hours. Sold the 180 in 24 hours, and moved up. Had great times on it, fantastic boat.

This past summer, decided it was time for a change. Sold the 282 (less than a week) and just closed last week on a 2017 GW 306! Can't wait for May!!

Reactions: Ky Grady and GWcpa