Where to mount my radar?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got a new 24 inch Furuno radar...where's everyone mounting there's on the hardtop? I would like to put it on a pedestal but straight up, leaning towards the bow/aft? I know the higher the better and horizontal to the water line. Whats everyone's thoughts? And setups? Pictures would also help just to see

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat came with the radar installed. Its on a bracket that puts it maybe 8-10 inches of the top of my hardtop so that it clears the spotlight at least. It was 14' on the trailer so we had to remove it and strap it to the top for transport. A few photos are below with captions. You have to click on them to view them.

Cheers,
-Scott

Attachments

• radar_on_boat_small.jpg
    radar_on_boat_small.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 3,736
  • pre_launch_photo.jpg
    pre_launch_photo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,737
  • snowboat_cropped.jpg
    snowboat_cropped.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 3,737

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only one person on here has a radar? Where is everyone

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only one person on here has a radar? Where is everyone

Hopefully people are enjoying vacations out on their boats. You might try posting on THT to see if you have any more luck. Pretty much any boat your size with a hardtop and a radar could be applicable.

lgusto

Reaction score
My radar is mounted on the hardtop on a pedestal. It looks pretty much level with the waterline when the boat is sitting still. I've seen may folks angle their radar with a large forward tilt, I suppose so the unit is level when the boat is on plane. My setup works well, probably because if I need my radar I'm usually moving very slowly and not on plane. http://dafishing.com/Boat.html

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My radar is mounted on a bracket that raises it about 8 inches. I decided not to use the $90 wedge that West Marine was trying to sell me to tilt the radar forward and am sorry I didn't. When on plane, any object in front of the boat disappears from the screen at about 1/2 mile. This makes the radar almost useless at night if I am on a plane. I am going to have the wedge installed this winter.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LUNDINROOF said:
My radar is mounted on a bracket that raises it about 8 inches. I decided not to use the $90 wedge that West Marine was trying to sell me to tilt the radar forward and am sorry I didn't. When on plane, any object in front of the boat disappears from the screen at about 1/2 mile. This makes the radar almost useless at night if I am on a plane. I am going to have the wedge installed this winter.

Yeah that's good advice I was wondering if I needed the wedge or not, good stuff..thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have installed three different radars on our boat. First was a small, 2kw dome, then upgraded to a larger, 4kw dome, and now a Lowrance 3G.

In all cases I found lots of good info in the installation instructions that came with the radar. Guidance on beam width, beam height, clearing obstructions or the hardtop, etc.

In general, most folks lean them forward so the beam is less impeded forward by the leading edge of the hardtop, and the angle can be "down" 4*, or 6*, or whatever, so the radar is closer to level when the boat is riding bow up. But I agree with the comment about moving slow when you need to see in close to the bow.

Most radars have a vertical beam width (height) of 25*, so you really don't need to raise the radar to see forward as long as the radar is close to the front of the hardtop. You may get an improvement in contact returns on the beams of the boat by raising the radar, if the hardtop is wide. Again, very clear charts in the installation manual for the 3G radar.

Some pictures.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3,676
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 3,676
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3,676

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did a sunset troll and cruise tonight and snapped some better photos of my radar installation - it works fine:

Attachments

• Boston-20130802-01150.jpg
    Boston-20130802-01150.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 3,648
  • Boston-20130802-01149.jpg
    Boston-20130802-01149.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,648
  • Boston-20130802-01148.jpg
    Boston-20130802-01148.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 3,646