Where to put speakers on '89 24 OffShore

jwsonas

Reaction score
I just installed a new Clarion stereo last season and one pair of speakers in cockpit area. Problem is, you can't hear well in back of the boat. I'm looking to install 2nd pair, probably (6" two-way) somewhere in rear of cockpit for better sound but can't decide upon a suitable area.

Also any suggestions on particular makes and models that will hold up to the weather and sound good? I've read the West Marine reviews, but I want some REAL input!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
[/b]

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I mounted my box speakers under the gunnels . I used short 1/2" SS screws for the brackets , they were short enough that they would not come thru the top of the gunnel . This keeps the speakers very well protected . The sound is also very good. The speakers are west marine somethin' or others. maybe 4x6 's.
My favorite music is a fifty wide singin' "Whats a draggin' me down"!!! :D

jwsonas

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've got rod mounts under there, though, might not be much room.
I was also considering shallow speakers mounted flush in the fiberglass seat bases that house the tackle drawers, facing astern. They'd really have to be shallow speakers to fit in front of the tackle drawers though. That's my issue. I'll definitely look at your suggestion, looks like an easier install...

(BTW, I prefer to crank out the U2 during the fast cruising, Buffet tunes for the lounging and fishing...)

jwsonas

Reaction score
Thanks! I see where you've mounted the speakers. I looked at that but was concerned about the close proximity to the gas fill hose on the starboard side (maybe your setup is different).
Perhaps I'm overthinking it though, thanks!

BTW, how are those JBL's holding up?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had the same concern about the gas fill/fuel neck. I was assured not to worry about it. I love the JBL's. Great sound-totally waterproof. Run a bead of silicon around the speaker b/4 mounting. Need a 6" hole saw to cut out for mounting (uses the same chuck and fits onto your standard drill). Any questions, send me a message. Mike