Which Windlass?

fishman

Reaction score
Thinking of putting a windlass on my 1991 Gulfstream. Anyone have a similiar application with success. Which windlass did you use? Thinking of the Lewmar V700. I heard from someone that my boat doesn't have enough room in the rope locker. Not enough downward scope for it to work right.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Vertical windlasses look nice, but need a greater "fall" into the anchor locker. Fine on the bigger boats, but the smaller boats do better with horizontal windlasses.

I installed a Horizon 500 right after we purchased the boat, and am now replacing it with a Horizon Profish 700. Also moving it back from the aft end of the bow pulpit to the top of the anchor locker hatch.

Will post photos when I have completed the project.

Brian

fishman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Brian. What trouble were you having with the vertical windlass? I'm thinking my anchor locker is smaller then yours.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
fishman said:
Thanks for the info. Brian. What trouble were you having with the vertical windlass? I'm thinking my anchor locker is smaller then yours.

I never had a vertical windlass, as I knew they needed more "fall", i.e. deeper anchor lockers. It's due to the way the rode comes off the vertical windlass and then has to turn 90* and drop into the locker, while the rode coming off a horizontal windlass is literally pushed down into the locker.

Horizontal windlasses recommend a minimum of 12" "fall" between the underside of the windlass and the top of the stacked rode in the locker.

The Horizon 500 was pushed hard with our 22# Delta and 30-ft of chain, and it just got tired.

Brian

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishman said:
What do you have?

Simpson-Lawrence and i think is the 600. I bought it to install it on the Formula i am restoring but i decide not to use it because i don't want to install a pulpit.
If you interested i can let it go cheap.

fishman

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. I'll start looking at the profish 700 then I guess. I have to add two bow cleats as well because I'm eliminating the one on the pulpit.

batastj

Reaction score
Really need help here. I want to install a windlass on my 1993 gulfstream which has no pulpit. I have read that the locker may not work with a vertical and that horizontal works best. Has anyone actually installed one on an older gulfstream and had success. If so can you answer the questions below

Can I use an anchor roller or do I need a pulpit
How did you retrofit the locker lid
What windlass did you buy
How much line and what type of rode.

How much did it cost. Thanks