White Monkey Fur and Blue Carpet Replacement?

dowplunger

Reaction score
Was wondering if any of you early 80's Grady owners have replaced the white fuzzy monkey fur and blue carpeting with anything from this century. Just fixed a few leaks in the cabin and would like to rip at least the white stuff out and replace. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Found a good shade of indoor/outdoor carpet to replace the the helm walls. Use 3M spray adhesive, works great. That would also be the time to replace the deck lites if you have thought about that at all.

LX Kid

Reaction score
I just bought a 1982 24', 241 cuddy and am pondering the same thing about the "monkey fur" and possible upgrades. I was thinking of using the grey indoor/outdoor carpet on the lower and can't really decide what to do about the upper fur. Also I have done away with the wood panels in the helm area for more elbow room.

SS

Reaction score
Ya thats stuff nasty,I have 25'6 tropfy pro I pulled it off and then went and talked to friend who does car interiours he showed me the stuff they use under vinly tops and marine vinly so easy to work with and looks great and cleans up easy.[/b]

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
hey whats the best adheasive to use.....i have marine carpet with the back side of the carpet being like a rubber material. i want somthing thats gonna stick awsome.

thanks chris... :wink:

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt? Adhesive is only as strong as the outermost surface of the material it is holding.

I've used 3m in the past and it is still holding strong on rubber backed carpet. The bond is stronger than the material, meaning if you pull it off the material will seperate and be left behind with the bonding agent.

Don't know that you could ask for more than that!

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
your help is greatly appreciated.......do you have a web site where this product can be found cheapest or are most generally the same

Workdog

Reaction score
What is this "Monkey Fur" you guys talk about? In my 89', on the ceiling in the cabin, I have a shortnap loop pile cream colored carpeting. Is that it? I think that looks fine (at least in my boat). What looked bad in my Gulftsream was the blue sidewall carpeting. When I had my bulkheads out to replace, I pulled down the shelves abeam the pedestal seats and ripped out all the blue carpeting which also extended into the cabin along the sidewalls port and starboard. I bought some dark grey indoor/outdoor from Lowe's, cut it to the dimensions of the blue crap I pulled out, dry fitted it, then brushed contact glue (buy it in pints from Lowe's) on both the backside of the new carpeting and the inner hull. After the glue set up a little, I put the carpeting back in and it stuck in place beautifully. It looks like a professional job.