Who makes the cover/cap for this?

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
yacht supply depot. used to have a web site but now on facebook. Used to sell them separately

family affair

Ah! Never would have found that. I don't do Facebook. Looks like I need to get my wife involved!
Do you know the manufacturer?

family affair

If it is Scandvik, it must be an obsolete design. None of the caps on their site have the same hinge configuration as mine.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Contact Scandvik to see if they have a replacement cap available for old stuff. If not, you could probably just replace the cup/lid.

family affair

Contact Scandvik to see if they have a replacement cap available for old stuff. If not, you could probably just replace the cup/lid.
I will do that. However I was hoping to avoid turning a 5 minute job into 3 hours by replacing the assembly.
I also have to wrap my head around the fact that I'm spending $150 to cover a shower head where a $0.10 piece of plastic previously sat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
I will do that. However I was hoping to avoid turning a 5 minute job into 3 hours by replacing the assembly.
I also have to wrap my head around the fact that I'm spending $150 to cover a shower head where a $0.10 piece of plastic previously sat.
Where you gettin' those numbers from , Willis? :)

Probably only 5 minutes longer than replacing just the cap. If you're just buying the cup/cap assembly, it shouldn't be anywhere near $150.

family affair

Where you gettin' those numbers from , Willis? :)

Probably only 5 minutes longer than replacing just the cap. If you're just buying the cup/cap assembly, it shouldn't be anywhere near $150.
Where? Mr. Drummond's closet:
Screenshot_20211212-121920_Samsung Internet.jpg
As for the time, I'm assuming it is bonded in place, requiring heating, cutting, chipping, 4 letter vocab excercises, cleaning, resealing, etc.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Good, glad you got the reference!

Ebay shmeebay... $160 for a little piece of plastic! C'mon, think it through - that's absurd. Go to a real store. Did you check Scandvik's website - I bet a replacement cup/lid is under $20. All that matters is that it fits into the same size hole - the part you see could be bigger. IF it requires a bigger hole, that's pretty easy to do, as well. This, of course, is if they don't have any discontinued parts.

3 screws is all it takes to remove the cup. Unscrew the hose. Reverse. You're thinking WAY too much about this.

*This is all still assuming that it's made by Scandvik - which is the most likely source - but I'm not 100% positive on that. They'll be able to tell you, though. But even if the original is not, this isn't rocket science to make it work.

Last edited:

family affair

Thanks Dennis. I am whining a bit. My luck with fixing seemingly little issues with this boat have not gone well. Oddly, big stuff that most wouldn't touch with a 10' pole have gone surprisingly well. An easy win would be welcome!

seasick

That is definitely a Scandvik spray head. I just replaced one one with the plastic 'hinge' strap. I replaced the cup. hose, sprayer and lid with the Scandvik OEM parts for about $60. The caps with the plastic strap tend to only last a few years but near me they are available in Marine stores for about $15. You can also get a cup with the mechanical hinge in plastic or stainless ( pricey). You need to measure the hole. to make sure the new parts will fit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Thanks Dennis. I am whining a bit. My luck with fixing seemingly little issues with this boat have not gone well. Oddly, big stuff that most wouldn't touch with a 10' pole have gone surprisingly well. An easy win would be welcome!
I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like it's just one thing after the other, too. But, hey, there are worse problems to have in this world, right! :)

Fishtales

Seasick is correct. The early ones were hinged, then I believe rubber was used. GW uses the Scandvik brand for the water faucets as well. Might have to hunt a bit or change out the entire assembly (holder and sprayer). Pretty easy to do.