Will a Garmin 741xs fit in 2000 208 e-box?

LB2141

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking to purchase a Garmin 741xs for a 2000 Adventure 208. I am curious if anyone else has this set-up? My grady is still shrink-wrapped so I can't measure the dimensions of the electronics box on the dash. It seems like it might be a tight fit. Any ideas? thanks...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Should have no issues if you flush mount it. Remove the door and have a panel fabricated. Either FL Marine Plastics or Fin-Addict have the matching 1/2" starboard in the GW color.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't offer an easy answer, but I can offer a way for you to find out - with 100% accuracy. You can get the dimensions of the unit off of Garmin's website. That gets you the unit size, but you still need to get into the boat to verify that it will fit. There are two ways you can get in and out of a shrink-wrapped boat without having to pull it off and tape it back down. One is by the use of a "zipper" and the other is a "door" (U-shaped). Both are readily available online and probably at most marinas. They quite inexpensive and can be used the next year, two.

EDIT: Typing at the same time as Parthery.

the gipper

Reaction score
I just had my new 2014 208 delivered and had a741xs installed with flush mount. It is in mho a perfect fit and a beautiful job. I will post pictures Iif I can figure how to do it. GW can confirm that you have the same size
compartment, I assume.

the gipper

Reaction score
Hey LB, as an afterthought I would also like to advise that not only does the 741xs fit , but I had room to add the autopilot screen as well with room to spare.

LB2141

Reaction score
Ideally I'd like to mount it on the bail mount inside the box if it would fit. Garmin doesn't give the dimensions of the unit on the bracket so its a guess at this point. Gipper I'll PM you my email address if you can send me pics that way. Also not sure if the 2000 208 dash is the same size as 2014.. anyone know? Thanks.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Call GW and have them send you the spreadsheet showing the opening size.

GW made the opening bigger in either 2000 or 2001. I can't recall.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The last time I had one in front of me (I work part time at a marina), I seem to remember that the bracket doesn't add too much to the height. Maybe an 1-1/2", I think less. Take a look at whatever pictures Garmin shows and maybe that will give you an idea. Maybe there's more information in the manual (which is downloadable, too)? Either that, or just give Garmin a call and maybe they can give you the exact height.

steveditt

Reaction score
Installed a Garmin 740 last season in a 98 208 ,would expect the Garmin's are very close in size ,I was able to remove it for winter storage with no problem .If you need pictures let me know .

LB2141

Reaction score
Digging up an old thread but if anyone is wondering.. I wound up installing the new Garmin 7608xsv on a bail mount bracket inside the ebox on my adventure. The unit fits perfect for the size of the opening. Just a heads up if anyone is looking at the new Garmin line. The attached photo is before I finished the installation. I'll post more pics when it's done

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is what I did and it is a great setup for me. No cover up in the air, direct access to the screen, still have the box for the stuff. But it is a 268 Islander.
[img
imagejpg4_zpsb4c63af1.jpg
][/img]
imagejpg2_zps49e65774.jpg

imagejpg1_zps15740a3c.jpg
[/img]
imagejpg1_zps15740a3c.jpg

Firenailer

Reaction score
I mounted mine inside the electronics box with plenty of room to spare. No problems installing or using it inside the compartment. I like to throw a dark tee shirt over it and the radio and lock it up. It all stays nice - clean and dry.