windless for 205 overnighter

miker

Reaction score
iwas wondering if they make a windless for these boats there's not much room

lewis_levin

Reaction score
Not sure you really need a windlass on a 20' boat. You'll have a 15 pound anchor, max, about 20' of chain, and as much nylon line as you can stuff in the locker. You'll need to pull up no more than 30 pounds--and that is only when you get to the anchor end. Or get a Fortress anchor and you'll have only 7 to 9 pounds of anchor plus the chain.

Don't want to get into a debate about whether Fortress are appropriate anchors or not. Only point is that you'll have a smallish Danforth style anchor that will not be difficult to hoist.

miker

Reaction score
my wife ended up with major back surgery from pulling the anchor and a wave hitting us just right so iwant to make it as easy as possible for her

lewis_levin

Reaction score
Maybe she should be at the helm and you should do the "heavy lifting"... 8)

greenhabah

Reaction score
So you already have a "windlass".

My "windlass" is broken and only works the way lewis_levin describes.

Maybe a new and younger "windlass" is in order.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New vs Old Windlass

A new windlass will probably cost more than the original cost, likely be a bit smaller than the original, and possibly less noisy and prone to less chatter. New or old will likely yank your chain just fine, the new may perform a bit faster, but with proper lubrication applied, the exisitng windlass should be fine.

:wink: :D

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unlike most newer equipment, you should expect an exponentially higher maintenance costs from your new "windlass". Go figure ....

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about wenches? Good luck with any of them. I would suggest however that like most equipment, it is good to have the standard equipment as well as a spare.

Maybe you should consider an anchor "ball"

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An anchor ball, or inflatable, is particularly good when you are running solo and need some helping "hauling the rigging", but is not typically a sailor's first choice.

Keeping a ready spare has its price, as it doubles the maintenance costs. Units will require more attention as they age, whether you use them or not, and will eventually become obsolete. Better to keep just one and then replace it when the performance is lacking. Get a newer, stronger model that can handle the additional weight that's been added to your 'console' and 'bilge' all these years. And remember, its often less expensive to order from overseas than to buy locally, even after you figure in shipping.

LarryO

Reaction score
Don't need a windless ? Depends where you fish . In the Delaware bay we need one or a strong mate . 3 mph tide , 2/3 ft chop with a 100 ft out and you need it . Horizon 4000 works perfectly on my Overnighter . We also use a heavy sea claw anchor to hold bottom . Pulling anchor can really tear up your shoulders if you do it enough . LOVE MINE . Good luck . About $1200 installed . Larry