Wiring on 1997 268

islandgrady

Reaction score
Might be a silly question to some, but, how do I access the wire runs from the elctrionic box to the stern?
I want to install a transducer at the stern & have been unable to replace corroded fuelmanagement wiring from the helm to the stern...what is the trick?
Thanks!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Go to the Grady-White web site and download the Owners Manual for the 1997 Islander 268. Go to page 61 and you will see the rigging tubes that run from forward to aft. Three on the starboard side and one to port (same on our boat).

Lots of room in those tubes, unless a lot has been added to the boat.

Brian

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 95 if you remove the access panel behind the head, you will be able to access the rigging tube which runs to the aft bilge area as well as the area under the bridge floor which you can then access via the deck plate on the bridge between the helm and companion seats. I was able to pull a new sonar cable through by taping the new one to the old and gently pulling while someone else guided the new cable in. The rigging tube ends just forward of the battery shelf on the starboard side of the vessel.

islandgrady

Reaction score
Thanks for your advise, I will try later today.
It would have been nice if there was a messenger line in there to pull the wires.

Is there a conduit run to the fuel tanks as well?
Maybe I should check the Grady site as suggested.
Thanks again!

seasick

Reaction score
islandgrady said:
Thanks for your advise, I will try later today.
It would have been nice if there was a messenger line in there to pull the wires.

Is there a conduit run to the fuel tanks as well?
Maybe I should check the Grady site as suggested.
Thanks again!
Whenever I pull a new cable, I pull a messenger for the next time.
The first time, pull an old cable like the old transducer cable and attack two messengers to it. One for the new cable and the spare for next time.