Wood rot

Jordan01

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looking to purchase a 04-08, 330 express. Any ideas on what to look out for, any major concerns? Not sure is wood is used in the construction of those years. Any info would be much appreciated

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pay to have a pro surveyor that is familiar with gradys especially your model. He should have a quality moisture meter and also perform a sea trial.

Jordan01

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Pay to have a pro surveyor that is familiar with gradys especially your model. He should have a quality moisture meter and also perform a sea trial.
Thanks Bloodweiser, I plan on having the boat surveyed and sea trial before purchase. Just want to know if someone has good knowledge on these boats and any possible issues to watch out for.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have an 07 and it has greenwood XL which is a CCA (A=arsenic) marine plywood that is guaranteed not to rot. They started using in it the late 90s, but not sure when it was fully phased in. You can call GW customer service and they can tell you about your model and year. The transom caps have been a weak point. Mine has a little corrosion, but I keep it sealed and coated lightly with LPS 3 and since I have had the boat (9 years) it has been fine. If the boat has maintenance records for the generator and engines the mechanical items are easy enough to fix. A good survey will let you know most issues. My boat has been great!

Last edited:

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have an 07 and it has greenwood XL which is a CCA (A=arsenic) marine plywood that is guaranteed not to rot. They started using in it the late 90s, but not sure when it was fully phased in. You can call GW customer service and they can tell you about your model and year. The transom caps have been a weak point. Mine has a little corrosion, but I keep it sealed and coated lightly with LPS 3 and since I have had the boat (9 years) it has been fine. If the boat has maintenance records for the generator and engines the mechanical items are easy enough to fix. A good survey will let you know most issues. My boat has been great!
Check your transom with the motor all the way up and make sure it not pulling away under cap