Yamaha 150 Four Stroke Props

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anyone tried (Yamaha Saltwater Series) or Michigan Apollo on their 150's
Vrs a Yamaha Stainless Painted? I have a 2004 232 with twin 150 Fourstoke, all the prop shops say I will see a great perfomance/fuel advantage with "Real Stainless props".
I know I can try anything, looking to eliminate the pretried.
Any true info is appreciated.
I'm running stock 13/3/4X17 Stainless painted.
Any speculation, keep it to your own post. Thank You

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have 645 hours on the F150s on our Islander 270.

Ran the Yamaha Black SS props in 13.75"x17" until a couple of months ago.

Tried a few options with the local prop shop, including some large, heavy Honda props. Settled on a pair of PowerTech OFS props in 15.25" x 16". Had to drop one inch in pitch to keep the RPMs up with the larger diameter.

These props are not the same as the Yamaha SWS props. The PT props have a cushion lock hub and weigh a bit less than the Yamaha props. The PT props do not cause lower unit "clunking" when shifting, which has been reported with the heavier Yamaha props.

The PT props have a bit more bite. We are able to hold plane at lower RPMs while punching through slop, and have gotten a small improvement in mid-range fuel efficiency.

You don't indicate anything about your performance, or why you want to change. The "real SS" comment is BS (JMHO) - the props you have now aren't aluminum...

If it is primarily appearance, then you can have the Black SS props polished. My prop shop did it when I purchased the PT props, so I have a nice set of back-up props.

Brian

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha does not recommend the SWSII props for the F150. My understanding is the cup is too aggressive for the smaller motor.
The stock black props come aluminum and SS. The SS ones they call 'black stainless'. They are reportedly good props, top pic for the 150.

The powertech props also get high marks from owners. More sizing availability, reasonable cost. I had some good correspondence with Prop Medic, he's a great guy.

One of the best polished stainless props for the F150 is the Reliance. I got a small bump in performance but not worth the $650 it was going to cost me. Have also been told the Revolution-4 from Merc is a good prop for the 150, however I'm not a big fan of 4-blades for a heavy boat and I have not tried one personally.

Andy at Simm and PropMedic are both very good sources for recommendations on improving your setup. You can also do a search on this forum, as well as THT - lots of info on both.

I've tried a number of different wheels looking for a bump in peformance, with very little results. Ran a yamaha SS in my favorite cut - 15-1/4X15 - only to sell it off and go back to aluminum. It would chatter the lower unit in gear at idle. Very annoying. Performance was equal to aluminum.

What are your WOT rpms?
Are you experienceing a performance issue?

I'm getting 57-5800rpm and 37-38mph with 15x15 yamaha aluminum. I run a PermaTrim and trim-tabs, out of the hole is quite good, but not as good as a two-stroke. My buddy's HPDI150 will knock you off your feet on his 208. Cruise is virtually identical. The FS is quieter and no oil odor.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only advantge the "real stailness" props may have is some are machined thinner than the standard run of the mill prop so you have less drag. Be your own judge if you'll see a great improvement.