Yamaha 200 HPDI / M.E.D.S issue...need help

gradysam

Reaction score
Hi all --

I have a 2000 208 Adventure Grady which comes with the Yamaha 200 HP HPDI engine.

I bought the boat off my father in-law who used it infrequently for the first 10 years so I didn't care much to plug it in to check hours at sale. Fast forward 3 years I was curious what my hours were at and plugged into my friends CDI M.E.D.S system.

We tried it several different times and it kept reading "6,3XX Hours" at every RPM level. I know this is incorrect, I had it "Ballparked" at around 400-500 hours total so I am 1000% positive it is a software/engine error and not accurate. Any suggestions? Not only am I curious about the hours but I also plan on upsizing boats in 2-3 years and I would hate to even put it up for sale without a reading.

Sam

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe that is a pretty generic code reader. Yamaha has their proprietary system and I believe you have to buy their software to read hrs, codes, etc. Great engine, keep the fuel real clean.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow! That's a great deal. I believe it's about $350 new from Yamaha. That's why only the techs usually have it.

seasick

Reaction score
gradysam said:
Hi all --

I have a 2000 208 Adventure Grady which comes with the Yamaha 200 HP HPDI engine.

I bought the boat off my father in-law who used it infrequently for the first 10 years so I didn't care much to plug it in to check hours at sale. Fast forward 3 years I was curious what my hours were at and plugged into my friends CDI M.E.D.S system.

We tried it several different times and it kept reading "6,3XX Hours" at every RPM level. I know this is incorrect, I had it "Ballparked" at around 400-500 hours total so I am 1000% positive it is a software/engine error and not accurate. Any suggestions? Not only am I curious about the hours but I also plan on upsizing boats in 2-3 years and I would hate to even put it up for sale without a reading.

Sam

Hours in general don't mean a lot. How the motor was treated does though. Hopefully you have an idea of how your father in law treated the boat. My position is and has always been that if the hull was treated well, the owner probably also took care of the motors.
What I am saying is that a perspective educated buyer would also know that hours don't really mean a lot especially if the motor is more than 10 years old.