Yamaha 250 OX66 thermostat

Pitchfork

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Yamaha 250 OX66 on my 98 Islander. Great engine, a real workhorse. During winterization the service department said the thermostat was leaking. They quoted me 4 hours labor to replace and clean surfaces. How many thermostats does this engine have and is it difficult to gain access to it/them?

Thanks

gw204

Reaction score
Two thermostats. One on the top of each head. 30 minutes max to change both.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
Two thermostats. One on the top of each head. 30 minutes max to change both.

..and thats taking a 10 minute break between each one... :wink:

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Generous Dealer

Who is this most scrupulous of dealers so we can avoid him?? Must be a repair shop owned by Barney Frank.

Pitchfork

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. You saved me some dough. Fortunately, this is not a Grady dealer but a marina up here in Massachusetts. It's not right. I'll do it myself this spring.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Maybe some of that time was them running and making sure they open and there is no clogs. If they just installed the t/stats and let you go. Next time you ran the engine and there was a problem you would be back and that's when customer relation problems ensue. Just a thought. Merry Christmas

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boats Rock said:
Maybe some of that time was them running and making sure they open and there is no clogs. If they just installed the t/stats and let you go. Next time you ran the engine and there was a problem you would be back and that's when customer relation problems ensue. Just a thought. Merry Christmas

4 hours to get them hot?? Either do it yourself (very easy repair) or find an honest mechanic.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
Boats Rock said:

4 hours to get them hot?? Either do it yourself (very easy repair) or find an honest mechanic.

I said some of that time not all of that time.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you do this yourself be sure to order gaskets. They don't come with the stats. You should replace the poppet valve also.