Yamaha battery cables. 2004 225's

Stowefish

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this along. I spent 2 1/2 years dealing with a starboard engine intermittently not starting. Initially, it seemed like it always happened after I had been running the engines and then wouldn't restart. Made cutting the engines fishing not very appealing. Then, engines would always cold start, but there was a slight hesitation. Checked batteries, ignition, starters. Nothing. Finally, I toasted a starter Somehow from a fairly clear short which also shut down power to the boat that day. I somehow got back on one engine without any other electrical.

Short answer. Both oem Yamaha cables which run from the batteries to the engines were totally corroded. Outside appeared normal, but nothing left inside. Cables were expensive to replace, but zero issues since. Yami dealer said he's seen it a bunch. Wish someone had told me this 2 years ago.

I feel like I have a new boat now. Just hoping the short didn't cause any issues I haven't noticed yet, but so far, so good.

Tight lines!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Did you notice problems with your batteries not charging ?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's pretty normal to need to replace battery cables after 10 years. Some don't make it even that long depending on the amount of exposure to saltwater they get. Salt even seems to get up behind good heat shrink installations at the terminals and wick up and corrode the wire.

I don't recall ever going over 10 years except for boats that saw mostly freshwater.

Engine wiring harnesses also start to become problematic when they get more than 10 years old.

All older boats eventually need to be completely re-wired.

Stowefish

Reaction score
It's funny. I typically keep my boat hooked up to shore power, and I think that's why the boat would typically start when I would show up to go out. However, after the boat was running a while and I shut it down, it would often not start. That's why I thought it was the alternator or something like that. I think I was loosing charge somewhere. If I would wait a while, it seemed like the batteries might "balance out a little" and then start. I have 2 batteries for ignition and one for accessories, although from the beginning I was not sure they were "hooked up right." Short answer is I was getting all kinds of weird and inconsistent electrical issues and it seems they were all attributable to the bad cables, because everything seems to be functioning perfectly now. Finally figured it out with a jump pack starting at the engine and working back to the batteries and then to the ignition. Everything at that point pointed to the cables. Not a "cheap fix" for Oem cables, but worth every penny.

seasick

Reaction score
Stowefish said:
It's funny. I typically keep my boat hooked up to shore power, and I think that's why the boat would typically start when I would show up to go out. However, after the boat was running a while and I shut it down, it would often not start. That's why I thought it was the alternator or something like that. I think I was loosing charge somewhere. If I would wait a while, it seemed like the batteries might "balance out a little" and then start. I have 2 batteries for ignition and one for accessories, although from the beginning I was not sure they were "hooked up right." Short answer is I was getting all kinds of weird and inconsistent electrical issues and it seems they were all attributable to the bad cables, because everything seems to be functioning perfectly now. Finally figured it out with a jump pack starting at the engine and working back to the batteries and then to the ignition. Everything at that point pointed to the cables. Not a "cheap fix" for Oem cables, but worth every penny.

I had assumed that the rigger installed the battery cables since they wouldn't normally be part of the motor package. The lengths are all relatively custom depending on the hull. What I am asking is "are the battery cables Yamaha?"

Stowefish

Reaction score
I had assumed that the rigger installed the battery cables since they wouldn't normally be part of the motor package. The lengths are all relatively custom depending on the hull. What I am asking is "are the battery cables Yamaha?"[/quote]

Yes, the cables that corroded were Yamaha. I was told that they could only be replaced with Yamaha cables as well because of the way they fit into and connect at the engine. I think you are correct with respect to the rigging of the batteries/electrical. I am by no means an expert. Just relaying what I found and what I was told.

seasick

Reaction score
Stowefish said:
I had assumed that the rigger installed the battery cables since they wouldn't normally be part of the motor package. The lengths are all relatively custom depending on the hull. What I am asking is "are the battery cables Yamaha?"

Yes, the cables that corroded were Yamaha. I was told that they could only be replaced with Yamaha cables as well because of the way they fit into and connect at the engine. I think you are correct with respect to the rigging of the batteries/electrical. I am by no means an expert. Just relaying what I found and what I was told.[/quote]

My bad... You are correct. Yamaha has battery cables for their motors. The Yami rigging guide has the OEM cable lengths by motor model